1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do CDTs have 2 batteries ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Tahoe99, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Hi all -
    My 06 Megacab 1500 has the 750 battery, and (I believe) 160 amp alt (that came with the tow package). I am sure that is normal but when oprating the plow (25D) the lights dim. The question is, on the diesels, is there a second battery ? If yes, where is it located ? If I wanted to help the dimming "issue", would another battery help or stronger alternator (not sure Dodge has anything higher than 160)?

Thanks

2. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

Yes, CTD (Cummins Turbo Diesel)'s have two batteries. The second one is tucked up into the passenger side right by the firewall.

When I had my GMC gas engine 2500 and operated the plow the lights would dim especially at idle- more if there was any corrosion built up on the thick power cable going from the battery to the solenoid then onto the hydraulic pump on the MM2. Even if your plow is new, it probably sat somewhere out in open before you bought it. Check the connections- take them apart and wire brush them plus some dielectric grease and tighten the connections.

Can't help you about a bigger battery.

John

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

It's in the same spot on the passenger side. I still get a slight light dimming, no where near what my 1500 was though. Sometime the battery light would even come on.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Tahoe I thought they did not allow plow on the MC. No you do not get the 160 with tow package. You could put a 160 in and add the second battery. They run in pararell so wiring is easy. Just get the battery tray from Dodge so it looks neat/factory or Check sears they sell a kit also.

As for a bigger Battery I would look into a group 31s or 31d. 1st gen CTD came with one battery a group 31. You can get them with 1200cca but they test out around 1300cca

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  5. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Hey tahoe you have any pics of your setup? what kind of plow do you have? happy plowing
    xysport

6. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Assuming you got the Hemi you are out of luck. The airbox for the Hemi runs to the passenger side wall of the engine compartment where the second battery would go. I

I have heard of people cramming a second battery on the frame rails under the bed..... But I was thinking of one of those after-market air cleaners that might do away with the OEM air box.

7. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

MC and plow

No pics yet. I have 25D. Yes, there is no plow option on Mega cabs regardless of 1500, or 2500 or 3500. Hope I do not have to go to the dealer anytime soon, but mine told me no problem, we'll see about that.