1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do Bare Ground, Magic, etc., actually prevent snow and ice from sticking?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Antimaster, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Antimaster

Antimaster Junior Member

We have some commercial accounts that are totally shaded, and in an ice storm like the one we just got, the hills in the lower parking became glaciers immediately.

It would be much more cost-efficient and for PR sake better for us if we could find a product that actually prevents the snow and ice from sticking/building up in the first place.

Being in NC, the distributers here mainly carry simple salt based de-icers, brine, and a few magnesium products that are a curative measure. I've looked into Potassium acetate, but the negatives of staining the concrete and preventing 1-2 inches is iffy.

I'm looking for a preventative.

Anyone with feedback I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

just presalt that account. Go an hour or two before the snow storm starts and salt those areas. It wont prevent it from accumulating per say, but it will help it from sticking to the pavement. It will just be nice and slushy underneath. Everytime you clear it throw some salt on it and it will work. That way too, your not going to prevent 1 or 2 inch snow falls from not accumulating, so you can still plow/salt those and you dont need to add all sorts of equipment and more material.
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Rock salt pre treating is iffy and can make for a huge headache depending on the conditions. Done properly it can work, but it can also make for more ice than without. Best is to have the brine solution in the pavement which will typically prevent the pavement to snow bond. If you do use rock salt for a pre treat you need to get the lot cleaned off before the salinity drops low enough for it to freeze. This is why guys pretreat with liquid it gets in the pavement and there is not that surface slush freeze issue.