1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do all plows drop hard?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Ropinghorns, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

All of my friends plows and my new Western Prodigy plow drop hard. Seems like a concrete breaker to me. I am new to this truck plowing and in Oklahoma snow we usually have more success plowing with down pressure on skidsteers or tractors. So tell me what to do in a two inch snow to keep from getting a headache by dropping this Prodigy so hard. Do I just get used to it?:cry:
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

There's an adjustment quill to change your drop speed. Read your owner's manual to see how to do it.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

As stated above,
    There is an adjustment,

Your Owens manual is a good place t0 look for this easy to do adjustment.
    You can download one from there site.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The quill screw is on the driver's side of the plow. It is a slotted screw hidden between the three valve coils. Turn it in a bit at a time until you get the desired drop speed. Best to turn the screw when the plow is on the ground as there is no pressure on the seal as you turn it. Then put it up and test down speed. Note that there is a bypass check valve that allows the fluid to go around the quill when the plow is raised.

Look at this link on page 15 and 17 http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/48174.00_031514.pdf
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

To answer your queston, no they do not all drop hard :)
  6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

A hard drop is helpful at times tho, like when you have wet snow sticking to it. The hard drop help knock the snow off.
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

This fisher doesn't drop hard. The rubber edge softens it even more
  8. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

good pointThumbs Up
  9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Also handy if you need to send a wake up call to someone that is texting at a stop light in front of you at a green light... just saying, it gets attention very quick... from what I have heard... :whistling:
  10. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

That's sounds like a good idea, but every time I go out plowing, there's snow on the road too which prevents it from hitting the pavement. :D
  11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Yeah... your plow does not drop as hard as I am talking about....
  12. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

You guys are great. Thanks for your help.