1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dmax topend knock

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mule585, Nov 18, 2015.

1. mule585

mule585 Member

Hey guys. My dmax started to knock/tick over the weekend. Has 167k on it. Changed the oil 2 weeks ago (Rotella t6) and put a new cat fuel filter on it yesterday. Any ideas on what it could be and what it might consists of to fix of said ideas? I have a video to post if I can figure out how

2. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

What year? Is it an lb7?

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

The typewriter sound is common and nothing to worry about, just a small air pocket in the oil... Google it and you'll find ton of info but no need to worry

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Injector knock? Mine was doing that last year, an injector balance check will tell. If it's an LBZ or new they are relatively easy to replace individually.

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

2nd that or weak CP3 could be an additional thing to look into.

Balance rate check with a tech 2 is the only true way to check injectors and or load the cp3 to see if that is it.

What is the year?

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

might not like the synthetic oil, i know cats dont...i use mobil 15w40 in my lb7

7. mule585

mule585 Member

It is an 05 lly. Turns out it was the #7 & #8 injectors. 7 was 4% over and 8 was 3.5% over. Had them replaced tuesday. Don't know if I'm over thinking but I feel like there is still a slight knock.

8. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

Burn some tranny fluid in fuel. Shut my 07 up.
    Injectors want a little lube.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

atf actually lowers the lubricity of diesel fuel.

". According to the U.S. Army's quarterly fuel and lubricant bulletin (March 1994), laboratory testing using the Ball-on-cylinder lubricity evaluation (BOCLE) had shown that the addition of ATF to a low sulfur fuel does not improve the fuel's lubricity rating. Moreover, the presence of ATF in fuel can adversely affect other performance properties of diesel fuel."

10. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe according to army. But not my experience. Then again wtf do I know I' m just the lawn boy.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's like saying, why smoke filtered cigs, we always smoked unfiltered.

Just because isn't a reason.;)

There are better and safer products to use to free up sticking injectors.
    I don't know, like a product made for it?

Atf got its start as whale oil it worked great for cleaning and lubing things up.
    Sure it will still clean, but it is now more aberasive, it leavs deposits all of its own, ant it's formulated to with stand higher temps.

Fyi

12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

With a good scanner you should be able to do cylinder cut outs. Where were the rest of them at?