1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dmax rusted fuel line

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tuney443, Feb 19, 2013.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

So plowing my buddys driveway during Nemo,he calls me later and tells me he sees some diesel on his pavement.I'm thinking he must be seeing some Magic juice,can't be fuel. Truck is a 2006,undercarriage gets bathed in Fluid Film regularly.Well,yesterday I notice severe dripping by the front of my tank,go investigate and sure enough the return line from the fuel cooler to the tank is pissing right where the mild steel meets the stainless part of the braided line.Got 2 viable ends and rubber hosed it together with multiple hose clamps.Anybody else go through this?

2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

You need to use steel line and brass compression fittings for that repair. There is too much pressure to depend on rubber and hose clamps, with the possible exception of high-pressure fuel injection hose clamps and high-pressure fuel injection hose (which are different from regular fuel hose/clamps).

3. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I've used that repair repeatedly (on different lengths of the fuel line and/or return line) on a '96 diesel. Rubber (high pressure) hose with dual clamps at each end. Those repairs haven't leaked a drop in 4 years.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's in the return side, it's low pressure. Less than 10 PSI normally so rubber hose and clamps are more than adequate for a temporary (or for some permanent) repair.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Its an easy fix I have done plenty. The small pice of line rite at the cooler rots out, You cant seem to get those fittings anywhere. You can replace the cooler comes with the fittings or bypass the cooler. With a pice of line and push connect flairing . Ive done it both ways. The last truck I did was a 4500 and needed all the lines when I ordered them they came for a truck with out a cooler and gm called gm tech and said put them on thats only way you could buy them and you can bypass the cooler. So thats what I did. Ive never ever used compression unions on any vehicle. Jut as easy to use a much better repair such as a flare union.

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

For app.$5.00,the problem is solved,no leaks,OEM fuel cooler in place.GM replacement OEM lines are grossly overpriced and IMHO it would be stupid to just have them rust again.If I decide to do anything more,it will be plastic lines thanks to B+B's advice.