1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dmax mpg

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EXR, Feb 28, 2010.

1. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I have a NBS GM with a Dmax, guess thats the "LMM". My truck is a CC SB with a 8.5v and 1.5 yard salter. I load an avg of 1 yard to 1.5 yard each time I go out and that lasts my route...

Anyways, I'm finding the plowing fuel consumption to be terrible, I haven't figured out the mpg's for plowing, but I avg 13-14mpg pulling my landscaping trailer in the summer.
    Plowing has been a totally different story. This week I've burned 3/4 tank each time I've been out plowing and have gotten between 150kms -170kms when it hits 1/4 tank. Today I let it go to the fuel light came on and it hit 225kms. I think my tank is a 26Gal...This is terrible. My 03 6L EX C SB was getting this kinda kms per tank or better. I know I need to get an average mpg to be acurate.

Any one else have dismal fuel consumption?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Might be right, how much are you letting it idle? Is it going into regen? Program the regen out of it and give her a mild tune:nod: Another thing to remember is winter fuel sucks it doesn't have the same BTU's so you will loose mileage in the winter no matter what
  3. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I was having the same problem last year. Winter fuel mileage was horrible. It has to do witht he DPF on your exhaust. If you dont get your truck going over 45mph for 15mins straight, without slowing down or stopping, then your truck is buringing major fuel trying to do a regen of the DPF. After each storm, I would drop the plow and jump on the highway and run for 20mins to let it regen. But now I replaced my exhaust with a turbo back and a tuner. Works much better. With regards to MPG. Im not positive because it was a while ago, but I think I was getting around 6 or 7 mpg while plowing with the old DPF
  4. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

X2 loose the DPF and have it tuned, you will see a huge mpg gain.
  5. EXR

EXR Senior Member

If I drop the dpf will that effect my etest?
  6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

What is an etest? I assume some kind of emissions. Not sure on your laws.
  7. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Ya we have to get them emission tested..
  8. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

I have a lmm and I don't salt but plow only and mine plows all night and doesn't even burn a 1/4 tank. It goes into regen while plowing but comes out of it even when I don't go over 45. The truck does good, real real good. But a all highway trip up north and back empty at 60 with cc set was horrible!!! Only 11mpgs! I don't know what to think anymore.
  9. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Mine drinks fuel when plowing also. I also keep it in tow haul. Keeps the trans temp a little lower. Your gonna drop mpgs when plowing. 4x4, frequent start/stops take a toll.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You might be comparing apples to oranges there are way to many variables driving styles lot sizes,etc. The first question would be long box or short box? When I first got my 97' I drove it for a few days just checking it out and thought it was getting excellent mileage until I filled the tank and put 31gal in it then did the math. I'm use to a short box and filling her up with 20-21gal.