1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dmax engine issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sven1277, Jan 2, 2010.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I am experiencing engine bogging at 2000 rpm on my 05 with 60k miles. Truck had 1/2 tank of fuel and I had to floor it to avoid a collision while plowing. Since then I have been dealing with this. I believe the fuel filter was replaced recently. Any suggestions?

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What's the temp? I'm guessing gelling or filter or both. I'd dump in some anti-gel and spin on a new filter. Any check engine light? It will throw a rail pressure code for both of the above

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

fuels gelled. Put some power service 911 in the tank and change the fuel filter. Even if it was just changed the gelled fuel has ruined it.

4. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Right on, Right on... fuel and / or filter plugged

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Not sure about these smaller diesel engines, But during the winter months I would always run a bottle of PS diesel additive at fuel up on my big rigs. PS 911 has saved me more then once for those days I forgot to add it, or I was in extreme cold temperatures.

PS-3016-06.jpg

D911.jpg

D911.jpg

PS-3016-06.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Not sure what the temps were in CT but I doubt the fuel was gelled... I'm in southern mass and the temps haven't been that low... What do you mean you "believe" the filter was changed recently?.... it either was or it wasn't... but that's going to be your problem. Grab a filter ($45) at NAPA.... Should be good to go after that.. I'd grab an extra to keep with you. Winter is ****** on these diesels..

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The filter is up by the fire wall. Do I need a special wrench kit for it?

8. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

9. mjp2

mjp2 Junior Member

Yep, try the fuel filter first. The best way to get in there is by removing the passenger side inner fender. I usualy don't have a problem twisting mine off withou a wrench, but depending on who put it on there last, you might need a filter wrench. I hope the filter is your problem. My dad had an '05 with a similar issue, and a new filter didn't help. turns out, the LLY motor has an issue with the #2 and #7 injector harness grounding out.

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Fuel is gelling, depending on temps there is probably ice buildup in or near the filter also. I put in Howe's deisel additive and keep my Dmax plugged in. If I start to have problems with mine, I put it in a heated building overnight and then its problem solved. Trucks just need to thaw out once and awhile in the winter. But when the truck does throw the fuel filter code your gonna be put into limp mode and wont be able to do anything till its reset. Thats where my Banks Power PDA comes in handy!;)

11. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Does the gelled fuel really "ruin" the filter, cant you defrost and REuse?

12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I got water in my fuel from the gas station once. It was bitter cold out and the pump was all screwed up. I needed to change the filter.. And now I use the Diesel Kleen every fill up. With the additive and plugging it in when cold, I haven't had a problem in over 2 years

13. Silverado_guy07

Silverado_guy07 Member

The same symptoms can also happen from a dirty air filter.

14. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same problem with mine and it was the Fuel Filter..At first didnt think that was it since it only had 4K on a new filter! Hope it helps and yes run some good anti-Gel in your fuel!

15. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

yes, it leaves a wax on the paper that restricts flow. You can keep using it but it will probably cause you problems later on.

16. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

First,start writing EVERYTHING down in your Dmax addendum booklet regarding maintenance.This is paramount.You shouldn't have to wonder or guess when things got done.Write it down,that's why there's blank pages in that booklet for.Like others have said,start at your fuel filter--it's either plugged from dirt or you gelled up.My guess would be you gelled since I didn't hear you say anything about fuel anti-gel that you run.Get in the habit once cold weather rolls in of adding an anti-gel EVERY fillup.Do not miss once,even on a 50* day because 2 days later when it's 10*,then you very might gel up.I run either Howes Lubricator or Schaeffers--run whatever you want,just make sure you get it done. Always,always carry a spare filter with you plus all the needed tools and a quart bottle of 911.

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Agreed, everytime I replace a fuel filter I write the milage on the filter with a permanent marker. That way I know exactly how many miles are on it.

Agreed with everyone else though, its probably the filter. Even if its not, its the starting point for diagnosis.