1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DIY snowstorm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thelawnguy, Dec 31, 2001.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

did you see that on the first page of the connecticut section today? we could make it a form of vandalism. pay him to go out making snow on peoples driveways at night, and then they call and need plowing:D .

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks interesting.

How many inches of snow can it make in an hour? Approminately how many gallons of water do it use in an hour?

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I think that it would be neat to build it but before I thought that it need a small compressor, but I found out that you would need a really large compressor that delivers at least 12 CFM @ 90 PSI. Looking in catalog and I see some selling for $800 for just a compressor. Who would want to spend that much money? So what I am saying is, forget it.

5. thelawnguy

This guy used his pressure washer according to the article which accompanied the photo in the Courant.

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

It uses the pressure washer AND the air compressor. If I had those I'd try it to build a 1\4 or 1\2 pipe in the back yard for the snowboard. Since its not snowing here, I could charge the local snowboarders to come play for some extra dough ;-) Nah, I'll just drive north & pay for a lift ticket like every other time.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have the pressure washer and compressor. I may also have some thime this weekend, and I will try and build such a thing. If it works out, I will post some pics. I am tired of seeing everyone else and their digital camera's, so I will get me one of those as well.
    Dino

8. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

I can see it now.
    Dino going around in the middle of the night blowing snow on his customers drives. :D Hey whatever works. This will give the press something really to talk about.Can't wait to see the pics.

9. thelawnguy

10. diginahole

diginahole Member

11. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

a local guy has been making snow for people for about 2 years if i remember correctly. he snoscaped a house that we see on the way to my aunts. he's in Norwalk,CT. he uses snow making machines from ski resorts, and has one of those little backyard blizzard busters.

here's the link

http://www.snowmanusa.com/

bryan

12. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

They had the guy on Channel 8 tonight, trying to make snow in the station parking lot tonight. No Dice. Too warm.

13. plowking35

from SE CT

That was to funny watching Geoff Fox just get wet. The only area in the state that night that was above freezing was NH.
    I bought all the plumbing pieces yesterday for under 10.00
    I will assemble today, and see if I can get the thing to work.
    Dino

14. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Well...
    What happened ? Did it work ?

Just curious.

( Of course, it's been pretty warm since you posted that, so maybe you haven't had an opportunity yet !)

15. plowking35

from SE CT

yes it did work, but I need to get my larger gas powered compressor back from a job to really get the snow flying. And it has been rather warm, and actually to humid since tues morning.
    Dino