1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DIY bedliner install w/ pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Banksy, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I bought a product called Als liner. It is a batch system that mixes kind of like epoxy. It sets fast and you need to work quick. I bought the gun and I wish I hadn't. I wish I had just rolled it on. It would have been cheaper and a cleaner install. The gun is a gravity fed style gun with an open top, so don't spill it! The gun would not give a nice consistant spray. It would spray and clog, spray and clog, etc. It also blasts out a ton of material and it's almost too fast to evenly distribute it. I had to frantically find a paint roller in the house to spread the material around. I ran out of material and went to Advance to buy a couple cans of Duplicolor bed armor to finish it...for now. I think I'll get another batch of Als and roll it on. Then I'm done.

Bed washed and prepped. It took a few hours to thoroughly sand it and clean it. Don't skip or cheat on this step. All fasteners, tie down points, and those rubber bed plug things were removed.

[​IMG]

Hung cardboard to make a mini booth. This was a good idea.

[​IMG]

Masked and ready for bedliner material.

[​IMG]

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It was completely dark out by the time I was done, so these pics are not the best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I know why Line-x charges $500 for this job. It's a pain in the ass, not fun, and these DIY kits are questionable if they are even worth using to save a few pennies. I like the material, but it needs another quart in the kit. The gun was useless and a huge waste of money. It says to use some material to test spray, but you won't have enough material to finish if you do that. I may call the company and see if they can help me out. I can't recommend this kit, but I won't trash it either. It is what it is.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

So cost for cost linex vs the DYI kit how much did you save? I personaly don't think you get the same thickness with the DYI stuff just a very thick coat of paint.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

$160 for the kit and gun and $75 for prep materials at Home Depot. It's not just fancy paint. I emailed the company about it and their response has made me more than satisfied now. Awesome customer service!

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have never seen any up close does it get as think as a linex type linner?it's hard to see in the pics

6. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

banksy-

You can go back over your Al's and recoat the bed if you have any light spots.

As far as the gun the knob on the back is a material flow rate adjustment you must have had it all the way out or maybe you didnt mix your material quick enough to spray and it started to set up? Doing a bed or the rockers on the truck is really a two man job. One to mix and one to spray, plus you need a good CFM air compressor as the gun blows air (to keep from clogging) all the time and when you pull the trigger it lets material in.

I would compair Al's to any of the big companies out there. If they could mix in some kevlar like line-X you would have close to the same product.

I have sprayed a few things so far and they have turned out great! I do recommend starting on a smaller project to get the right feel and consistency that you want. I've attached a few photos.

Toolboxes: (my complaint with alum boxes is the alum chalk you get on your tools or items from rubbing/moving around this solves the issue)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a couple brackets:
    [​IMG]

7. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

bracket 2
    [​IMG]

rockers:
    [​IMG]

here are a couple different textures I was playing with. It comes down to the Air+material mixture or the knob on the back of the gun. More air less material gives a rougher texture and vise versa.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bracket in my first post is my latest texture and I like that the most.
    Dont be discouraged just yet, give it a shot on some smaller projects then tackle the bigger ones once you're comfortable with the gun and fast pace!

you can layer it as thick as you want!

Ian

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I've shot on U-POL Raptor a couple of times and that stuff is great to work with, you'd need two kits for an 8-foot box. I think the kits were only $99 or $119 with the gun included. I got the clear stuff and tinted it with urethane based automotive paint.

The big trick when spraying anything like ICS said is to have a big enough compressor and also to have a flow valve and pressure gauge on your air line right next to the spray gun.

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My compressor is up to the task. Its a 30 gallon Craftsman and I had it set to between 45-50 psi. The gun comes with 3 nozzles and the guy at the 4x4 shop where I bought it said to use the largest nozzle. I played with trigger control but wide open was the only way it would spray. I followed the instructions exactly.

I'm thinking that I will just roll it this time. The bed is dry now
    and it's the back half and tailgate that need the most material.
    Like I said, this is a nice product. I certainly recommend it if you want a good DIY bed liner, but the application process could be more efficient maybe and some extra material in the kit would be awesome. Als liner corporate office really stepped up to the plate and I can't wait to finish this project.

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My friend and I have sprayed the Raptor stuff with great success, the gun worked well too.
    Banksy - I think it looks fine, its just going get beat up anyways.

11. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Is the Raptor pretty strong??? I have been thinking of painting my rockers& bed with it.

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

It's a two stage urethane. It's pretty good from what I've seen. I used to work at a truck accessory shop where we sprayed on average 2-3 trucks a day with the same type of product and those things took a beating. Biggest thing is prep.

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

We did the bed of his truck (that doesn't come out of the garage), and the bumpers, steps, and fender flares of his Jeep about a year ago. All but one spot on his rear flare still looks like the day it was sprayed. A piece chipped off the flare when something hit it- it doesn't flex well LOL

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Use less hardener. It'll take longer to cure, but it will retain more flexibility.

15. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I wonder if the raptor spray on liner would be better then roll on liner to do my rockers and fender flares. Or would i be able to even it out better by rolling it on???

16. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Rollers are a lot more stooooooooopid proof when it comes to even texture. I've hosed on a ton of crap in my day. It takes practice to shoot it right and consistent. (Better to practice on other people's trucks)
    :laughing: