1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Distributor will not advance enough

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by long0, Dec 9, 2002.

1. long0

long0 Senior Member

I finished the install of a rebuilt 351M in my bronco this weekend. I came upon a problem that has be stumped though.

The factory timing setting is 10ºBTDC. Living at approx 8,500 ft, I am guessing that my timing should be somewhere between 13º - 16º. I advanced the distributor as much as it would go, and I am at 6º. The distributor will not turn any more due to the thermostat housing being in the way.

Any ideas on why this would be, or a fix for it? It's running a little rough now, and my temp is fairly high. I believe all this is due to ******** timing.

Andy

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

YOUR A FEW TEETH OFF ON YOUR DISTRIBUTOR. LIFT IT UP FAR ENOUGH FOR THE GEAR TO CLEAR THE DRIVE GEAR TURN THE ROTOR COUNTER CLOCK WISE ABOUT AN INCH OR TWO THEN LOCK DOWN AND CHECK TIMING IF DIST. WONT DROP DOWN HOLD THE DIST WHILE SOMEBODY TAPS THE KEY IT SHOULD LOCK DOWN

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!