1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Distributor Replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Razzlo, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Razzlo

Razzlo Member

Well, I have been working on my 'new/old' 85 K5 Blazer (305) this weekend, and needed to replace the Pick-Up Coil. So I did everything correctly (so I thought). Lined up TDC, etc. Anyway, the Distributor came out fine, replaced the Coil, and went to drop the Dist. back in. Well, It goes in and the Rotor turns and lines up where I marked it. Trouble is that the Dist. won't seat all the way on the manifold. I tried it with the gear off and it set fine on the oil pump. What would cause it not to line up, and how can I get it lined up without turning the motor?

Thanks.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The oil pump driveshaft is what's holding it up.Get a long straight screwdriver,and look down through the intake to turn the driveshaft until it lines up where you want it.It usually turns a little bit when you yank the distributor.A very slight bit clockwise and it should drop right in.

BTW Did you use a new gasket on the distributor ?

3. Razzlo

Razzlo Member

I have alrady tried this, but I guess if it is not dead on, it won't set right. And yes, I did use a new gasket.

Thanks for the reply.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You will have to keep trying,they have to line up just perfect.Once they do,it will drop right in.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

On most GM distrubutors,the oil pump drive tang is directly in line with the rotor tip.So if you point the oil pump drive shaft slot directly to the spot you want the rotor to end up in,it will drop right in.Check your dist first,as some older HEI's they didn't line up.

6. Razzlo

Razzlo Member

I tried that. But I guess it's hard to line it up HANING OVER THE MOTOR!!! (GRRR!!!). Anyway I will try again this weekend if possible. Thanks for the help.

7. Razzlo

Razzlo Member

Well, after numerous attempts, I finally got it. It was (I think) The oil-pump shaft. Truck started up like a champ. Thanks again wyldman for your help.

Razzlo.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

No problem Razzlo,glad to be of help.Sometimes they are just plain stubborn to get in,and it's usually the oil pump drive shaft.