1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

distributer help plz

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 65chevy, Mar 25, 2006.

1. 65chevy

65chevy Junior Member
    from ca

ok i have a 1965 chevy with a small block 350 and i just replaced the intake manifold and cab, theres one prob tho this was my first time doing it and i forgot to markthe distributor when i pulled it out now i cant start it and i know that if i bring the number 1 cylinder to TDC and point the distributer to #1 spark plug that i can realign it but i don't know how to bring the #1 cylinder to TDC any help would be very helpful thx. lee

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

The easy way is to turn the motor over by hand using a socket and breaker bar on the balancer bolt. Line up the timing marks at TDC. Of course, you can either be on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke, so what I do is pull the no. 1 spark plug and have a friend hold their finger over the spark plug hole while turning the motor over. You'll feel the compression when you get to TDC in the compression stroke.

Also note that due to the helical gear on the distributor the rotor will move as you push the dist down in the block, so you need to account for this. Finally, you can almost guarantee that the oil pump drive will not be lined up properly, so you may need to use a long screwdriver to turn it first.

Joe Padavano

3. 65chevy

65chevy Junior Member
    from ca

thanks i will do that tomorrw when i get off of work