1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

distriburater???? cause stalling?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mainer, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

Hi guys. back again took the truck had it tested for the stall poor idle problem.nothing comes up. cept running lean on the o2 senser. they now tell me the distiburater could be the problem. the magnets get weak in them or crack thus not sending anough power or info to the map sensers and such to run proper. causeing it to chase its idle stall run like sh@@t have any of you heard of this before?. it would be a 200$ dollar bill to do this. just want some input before hand.
    Thanks guys.
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

James..........Post your year, make, engine size, transmission info.

Somebody can help ya !............ :drinkup:
  3. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

Sorry.. was so tired last night forgot the important stuff..lol
    87 305 engin TBI auto. it was stalling often and chasing its idle sounded like it was starving for fuel.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Anything that can effect distributor performance can be replaced without replace hole unit unless the main shaft bushing it it are badly worn or siezed. Yo can replace pick up and the reluctance gear too but I have never heard of the relutance "gear" going bad. You might check pickup coil in dist and the gap between it and the reluctance gear if you suspect that the problem is in that area.
  5. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

1st do you have a check engine light? Second your idea of “ sounded like it was starving for fuel” check the fuel pressure your fuel pump may be bad (common)
  6. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

my '92 was doing the same thing...had it checked out, they replaced the distributor. The "breaing" at the top of the shaft was worn, (nylon bushing). Now the thing is fine. All for $288.31. What a bargain in my opinion...to have a truck that runs fine.
  7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Not sure if this would apply to your distributor. A friends T/A would stumble and die when getting on the gas. It turned out to be a broken insulation on the wire or the wire itself inside the distributor. As the timing advanced and the plate under the reluctor or points( forget which he had) moved ever so slightly, the wires shorted out, killing the motor till the timing changed back. Definitely made it tough to drive. They get brittle from heat over time. Seeing the age of your truck, you might check this.

KSWART Member

I agree check the fuel pressure first. I just changed my cap and rotor this week and though it needed it in the end it was the fuel pump.
  9. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

had an 87 blazer with a 350.truck wouldnt idle.new distributor for 100 bucks and installed it myself fixed the problem.the bushing was worn.ran like new after that.that was for an a/c delco distributor
  10. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

HI Men
    Thanks for all the words of advice. I changed the coil. i decided to look under the dis cap. it was so so gunked up under there. cleaned it all up since then runs like a top. the cap looked great that why i never looked under it. guees cant take simple stuff for granted. going to get a new cap today though...My 87 drives like 2004.. :nod:
    Thanks again men.
    James :redbounce :drinkup:
  11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

What the hell is a distriburater? Did you have a few to many of these :drinkup: when you wrote that?
  12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I'm surprised they didn't look for or detect that when you took it in the first time. Glad you solved it though.
    Something off road guys used to do was tap off of a vacuum line and drill and install a fitting in the cap, then hook up the vacuum to draw out any moisture. If this is a recurring problem you might inquire on an off road site or maybe even someone here can give you all the details to do that. I may be leaving out something.
  13. Mainer

Mainer Junior Member
    from Maine

Tuna yeppers sure did :gunsfiring: i was shooting them down :drinkup: LOL