1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dissapppointed on bid results!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baddboygeorge, Nov 15, 2007.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

I have a customer that I have had for a few years an they wanted me to bid on all there stores in the area. I did an when I talked to them today they awarded me 2 locations out of the 6.I asked the district manager why I didnt get the other location an she said they had a contractor that undercut me with a flat rate. I told her there is no way possible cause my prices are very competitive with the area. She also told me that her boss asked her how I was gonna cover all 6 locations. I told her that I have 3 trucks to cover it. Thats ok I know that they will be calling after the first storm an I am gonna tell them ,Sorry I am too busy! I am so tired of the price shoppers!! thanks George

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

everyone (including yourself) is a price shopper. duh.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

george,
    maybe your upset as of this post but it'd be nice to get that call and show them what you can do...then maybe you'll get some more customers for a few more years,xysport
    steve

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

George, I'd really advise you not to tell them you're too busy if they do call. That would only confirm what the boss said and undercut yourself. They're much more likely to give you future business if you show you can come through for them. The easier you make it seem, the more they will come to rely on you.

I like it when people tell me how difficult they "know" something is. Usually they've gotten that idea from a previous plow guy. I'll look at them like "You're kidding. What's so hard about that?" Puts you in solid and heads above the other guy.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

or they think you're inexperienced. happens to me quite a bit since I'm on the younger side.

6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Selling opportunity

Our biggest storms last year were the best opportunities to save the day and make a longtime customer. A few companies fell flat, and the account was up for grabs to the first guy who could service them. When I lose a bid, I ask them to keep me in mind if they get in a jam, and I thank them for their time in reviewing my bid.

7. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

No, it would confirm that after they told him no thanks, he went and found other opportunities. ..which he should anyway.

With regard to future business, they just showed their loyalty---it isn't his first time with these people so they already know his work, whether he shows up and so on.... its purely a lowballer situation....If they wanted to give him future work they would have given him THIS work. They might be slightly uncomfortable with his capacity but its clear that they didn't even know how much equipment he had because he told them later. They took a lowballer and figured they'd save a few bucks overall. property managers play this all the time.....they know the lowballer cant handle it all but what they save on partial packages they figure its a plus.

So now go out hunting new stuf and when the lowballer doesn't show up, you will be out somewhere else making money from someone who probably never saw your work before but was willing to pay the going rate and appreciate it. There is no loyalty so just move on and find other stuff--- if you have the time and they offer at YOUR price, take the work with a smile but don't sit by the phone waiting for them to realize they had a good deal....you're only as good as the confirmed work you have lined up and promises are just that--promises.

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

a few years ago I had a couple of commercial accounts that were yearound maintenance, well after two summers of mowing, landscaping and one winter of plowing/salting they didn't renew because of price.

this will be the third year with someone different, and I heard that they "had someone great a few years ago but no one has provided the same level of service since."

makes you feel better knowing that sometimes the lower price guy can't do such a great job.