1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Disengaging 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Joe Lombardo, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Here's a question I didn't want to ask my local Ford Dealer. I just bought a new Ford F-350 with manual locking hubs, can I lock the front hubs, shift the transfer case to 4H when 4 wheel drive is needed and then just put the transfer case into 2H when I no longer need four wheel drive without unlocking the hubs? I hope that makes sense???? Electronic 4X4 was so much easier.

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Joe,

You can do that. You will notice reduced performance and fuel mileage but not much. In the winter time, I lock in my manual hubs and let them be all season. Then just use the stick on the floor to engage the 4wd.

Manual 4wd is far stronger and more reliable than the auto-hubs. I went through 2 sets of auto hubs before I broke down and bought Warn manusl hubs. Haven't had a problem in 6 years.

Good luck,

3. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

As Meister said, yes, you can do that. That is the idea. I leave my hubs locked all winter unless I am traveling long distances or and high speeds, over 50mph. And electronic may be easier in theory but it allways has problems. The auto hubs are garbage and the electronic shift motor has it's own issues. With manual hubs and manual t-case there is almost nothing that can go wrong.