1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion - What equipment would you put on this lot????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMarshall, Nov 20, 2015.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Wanting to do some discussion on this local shopping mall......

****Disclaimer: I do not have this lot, I have not bid on this lot, I am not looking to bid on this lot**********

I just know what the contractor that does it uses on it, and I don't really agree with the equipment they are using or their methodology, but I understand why they do it the way they do. They use 5 skids with a mix of 8-10 foot Kage pushers, and a dump with a straight plow and under tailgate spreader.

Just wondering, if this were your lot, what would you put on it, and why?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Id use my fleet of jet powers snow movers.
    because, they are the best.

th.jpgjet blowes.jpg
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Jim what's your concern? What's the big deal with the way the guy is doing it?
  4. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I think it would make more sense to use a smaller number of bigger machines and pushers, but that is just me. I would think 2 wheel loaders with large pushers and a dump with a V plow and spreader would be sufficient. Lots of big, large, open areas that don't require the smaller machines and pushers.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

IMO maneuverability seems the issue.
    Big equipment in a high traffic area is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Not saying that you couldn't use big equip after the storms, but during that would suck. Just trying to get down isle ways with a 10footer at times can be impossible
  6. JimMarshall

from NW PA

You make a good point. I know my operator that runs my loader hoe/pusher has a heck of a time when its snowing during the day and places are busy.

I didn't start this thread in an attempt to criticize his methods, but rather in an attempt to learn. This site is 3x the size of my largest one, and I was sitting here bored and figured I would pick everyones brains a bit.
  7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

On the other hand to try and do that with all small equipment must take forever. Maybe 1 large loader w/14 or 16 ft box 2 skids w/box or kage and dump w/vee and salter. You would reduce your manpower and equipment and I think still be done in the same amount of hours.
  8. JimMarshall

from NW PA

This contractor doesn't care about time, its bid by the hour. That's why he is using what he is using.
  9. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I think this is the route I would go as well. During the day if it is to busy, you leave the loader parked, and use it after closing on your cleanup pass. Two skids and a truck should easily be able to maintain drive lanes during the day. If you can keep salt on site, that would be a plus as well, then the truck could be dedicated and never leave said site.
  10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If money were not an object?
    2 of these..
    1 of these...

And 2 pickups with V blades.
  11. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Jim are those the machines he uses for his summer work? I believe that's a key for all of us, kinda use what you already have. I don't think my employees would have any problem slowing down, even with a better equipment package.
  12. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I believe he has 1 of them, maybe 2 that are owned. The others are rented/leased for the winter. He owns the Kage systems - hes the local dealer.
  13. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Hourly, A couple of open cab 8n's with no chains and some 8ft pushers, A tailgate spreader and a tri axle full of salt each trip you can fill your spreader with shoot doors. Maybe a pickup with a straight blade with no hyro turn or manual.

Make sure your guys take 15min breaks on the 8n every 30 min. to prevent hypothermia. You should be able to sham it out in 14 to 16 hrs and make a nice profit. Good Luck
  14. LapeerLandscape

Even if it was during the day you could use the skids to feed the loader and make your way around the lot. Keep the loader to the outside and push the lanes with the skids.
  15. LapeerLandscape

Well thats just stupid, but if it was by the hour I might just do it that way too.
  16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Its more about how good your plow jockeys are then what they use.
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have a couple lots similar in size to these and 2 12-18 Snowings can handle them fairly easy and a salt truck just comes in to spread and leaves. We don't have to much trouble running drivelanes with a 12ft just have to take your time. Generally we only ever have one running during the day also. One of our places use to be done with 18 skid steers and all done by the hour. We came in and gave them a seasonal price and did a better job with 6 tractors and 1 skid for a lot less money. To me a place like you pictured is the perfect place to sell a seasonal on.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What Dave said. The contractor is running a jobs program, not a snow removal company.

I'd have a couple loaders\tractors with pushers or Snowwings, and probably a skidsteer. Salt truck comes in to spread and goes away.
  19. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

On a serious note, I see no reason 2 wheel loaders with 18 to 20ft pushers, A 580 or skid with 12ft pusher cleaning lane ways while open with help from from a truck or your choice. With a experienced operator I see no problem with 12ft pusher between cars. Salt as needed. This is just me, I would want salt on site if possible.

The hourly thing is just stupid on the PO part and possibly the Contractor. T&M only gives the contractor the option to not perform in a reasonable amount of time or use proper equipment for job. And you can't blame him.
  20. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

If it's hourly, I'd run 2 skids, a loader/pusher and a truck with plow and salt all day, just to keep the lanes open, then after hours, the truck driver hops in a second loader to clean up and then back in the truck to salt on his way out. If it were seasonal pricing, I'd try to do it with one less guy...to see if they could keep up