1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

discouraged

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Had to have the mighty Chevy towed the other night. All of a sudden I started getting a horrendous driveline noise, couldn't figure out what the heck it could be. Was afraid to drive it so I had it towed to my buddies garage. He couldn't figure it out, thought maybe something in the transfer case is trying to engage 4wd. It is a whining gear noise, really bad, starts at 10 mph and gets worse. Sounds like when you forget to shut off the hydraulic PTO and start driving. But I don't have a PTO. (My case is PTO ready but nothing hooked up.) It is intermittent but happens most of the time. It also will make the noise when you shift it into 4wd, but it doesn't have to be in 4wd to do it. Nothing obvious like u-joints or carrier bearing, fluid levels okay. So today it's going to the transmission shop to be diagnosed, I am so dreading finding out what is wrong. I am also dreading trying to drive it all that way, about 20 miles. I guess if it blows up in my face then I will know what is wrong. Just spent $2k on a sander, now I'm looking at possibly pouring a pile of money into the truck. I really wish I could afford a newer truck. I've had this one for 5 years and I'm ready for something newer, but unfortunately money is way too tight this year, I've got to at least get through until next summer. And of course, I can't get rid of this truck until I fix it anyway, and once it's fixed I don't need to get rid of it. Kind of a vicious cycle. Anyway, wish me luck.