1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beanz27, Feb 17, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So while I am here attempting to start an end of season business, or at least go out and play with my equipment and get my name out there, I was wondering as I plowed around college areas and senior citizen areas, do you guys offer discounts?

I mean senior citizen discounts, student discounts, paid in full, etc?

I put one in my ad stating if you get 2 neighbors to sign up, your driveway gets done at a discounted price, and so does theirs...........anyone else doing this?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No need to give something away for free. A good price is all you need ,and service.
  3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Nope no one gets a discount. The only driveway I do for free is my grandparents and thats because I live there haha
  4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

No. Advertise, be patient, do quality work and the customers will come.
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've thought of doing this. I would like to think this would work out especially well in a subdivision with an hoa. Hypothetically speaking, if you sign a driveway for let's say $350/season. If they sign up both their neighbors they get a 10% discount. I bet most would trade $35 for two accounts worth a combined $700.
  6. grandview

If your going to give it away try this. Instead of money off give them a gift certificate instead, This way you can right it off.
  7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Excellent advice...

service....... money talks and BS walks..
  8. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Discounts (other than pre-pay) typically attract a lower quality consumer.
  9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

No Discounts here. We only have a little time to make money and pay for things. I will not give it away.
  10. grandview

That's right,the chick with the big hoots and short dress pays full price for a plowing.Thumbs Up
  11. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Do you get a discount on gas and service and parts when your truck breaks down? No one gets discounts!
  12. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I'm an oddball - we do give discounts sort of, it's all in pricing, knowing your costs. Society is made up of a twist on words, but yes good service will sell you way more than offering discounts. I find that usually coming in with a low price doesn't get you looked at seriously but there are customers that are focused on that dollar - for business longevity and growth, that's not the customers we are really looking for.

Not being a bean counter or tax guy, but a write off is no difference than showing less income or if it is, explain to me how?? For instance, insurance prices for me are somewhat based on sales dollars, the cost impact would be meaningless but...
  13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well I was thinking about that one discount rather seriously though. I mean I do think it would work, and it would expand the business further and make a close route.

$5 off for each neighbor you get to sign up. Don't you guys think that would be decent? At least for this or next year only? That $5 would in turn make another $35, so basically make $30 instead of $35, but having 2 or 3 houses right next to each other would be sooooo much nicer.....Am I wrong?
  14. grandview

If you want to give it away how about this, 40 per plow but if they sign up before the 1st of Oct it will be 35. this way they get their 5 bucks off and you get your full price.
  15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I'm not trying to give a lower price or anything, what I'm trying to do is establish a very tight route. Think I may just letter the truck and if I can get the toolcat, letter that also. That should be enough, along with my outstanding work, you'd think so at least.
  16. grandview

Order up some signs with your name and number. Every time you sign one up put a sign on the front yard,People will sign up with because the neighbor did,
  17. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Now you're cooking with Crisco! :laughing:
    And we have a winner! Thumbs Up
    You know that may just work, slowly over the years I pick up neighbors as they see that their driveway is not done and there neighbors has been done for 12 hours. ;)
  18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

But what do you charge her when your wife isn't around?:laughing:
  19. grandview

I do charity work then.:cool:
  20. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

thats a GREAT idea, and I think I'll just do that.