1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

disconnect plow lights??????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LJC Lawncare, Jan 13, 2009.

1. LJC Lawncare

LJC Lawncare Junior Member

I have a 97 dodge ram w/ uni-mount plow. I want to disconnect my plow lights and just use the truck lights, but when I unplugged the light plug that is wired into the headlights, no go. The head lights still don't come on when the plow is plugged in. How do I disconnect the plow lights??? :help:

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Trying to unserstand what your trying to accomplish, you want to use the truck headlights with the plow on? or when you unplug the plow the headlights dont switch back to the truck?

3. LJC Lawncare

I don't want to use the plow lights, I just want to use the truck lights.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you have a decent lift kit on your truck, you will have problems seeing, and being seen with the plow up, if you disconnect the plow lights. The easiest way would be to unplug the harness going to each light under the hood. Not the plug between the truck, and the plow.

5. Crash935

Hes right, your not going to be able to see jack. And like he said, to go back to the factory lights, just unplug the plow harness at the headlights and plug the factory plugs back in.

6. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

also the plow will block the truck lights while driving down the road and youll prolly get to meet the local officer working midnights. LOL

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

8. Crash935

OH, That thread!!!

Now i think hes just going and confusing himself and trying to find another way around a problem instead of fixing the problem.

9. LJC Lawncare

Actually NO. The reason I want to use the truck lights is b/c my plow lights point directly at the ground and I cant see anything!! Yesterday I indeed took off the plow lights and on my way home last night the headlights did 100% better. I could see the road. About 2 weeks ago I tried to adjust the plow lights up but they were so rusted, the nut started to fall apart. If I was driving a chevy there would be no way I could use the truck lights b/c chevy's lights sit to low. And I did fix the problem with the switch getting to hot. I added a second toggle. One toggle for the headlights, and one for the park/tail lights.

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't you just buy new plow lights, and put them on? If you go with the older style you can pick them up for about 75 dollars. The new style light are much more costly, but worth the money if you can afford them.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

First off, how to do it would've been to unplug the truck harness' from the headlight harness' and plug them back into the headlights. Secondly, why didn't you just adjust the plow lights?

12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I just posted on other thread Its an old Dodge recall. The headlight Switches burn up. I had it done in my old 94. 94-97 all same switch and problem. Recall came out 99 not sure if you can still get it done. But I bet you can buy the kit.

http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/recalls/dodge-ram_3500/

13. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

We also need to know if this is a Dodge Ram Sport?? Different headlights than a Dodge Ram. let you know what I found if it's a Sport