1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Disappointed w/ Air Cell 52212

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by avc8130, Nov 19, 2010.

1. avc8130

avc8130 Member

I recently ordered a set of Air Cell load supports from Airlift to help my 2500HD Duramax cope with my Fisher 8'6" X-Blade. I got them today and installed them right away. It took about 30 minutes to install both sides from pulling the truck into the garage to driving out. I figured I would want to document how they worked out so I took some before and after measurements. I measured from the center of the wheel (hub cover) to a mark I made on the fender trim in pencil. Here is what I came up with:

Before
    No Plow: 26"
    W/ Plow: 24"
    After
    No Plow: 26"
    W/ Plow: 24"

You can imagine my disappointment when I picked up the plow after the install and the front of the truck went diving to the ground like the head of a scared ostrich. I sent Airlift an email to find out if there is anything I can do to change these results.

I will keep you posted with their response.
    ac

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a pic of the install? They may need to be shimmed down.

3. avc8130

avc8130 Member

I can get a picture. How does one determine if they need to be shimmed? They touch when the truck is off the jack without the plow.
    ac

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not a big fan of the Airlift units myself but they do work, I simply dislike the through bolt deal they use unlike Timbrens that have the simple threaded insert that accepts a bolt.

If you've changed the height of the suspension more than about an inch with a T-bar adjustment you'll need to shim the Airlift's down with a few flat washers to make them more effective and sooner. Timbrens are the same way. Depends on the exact height change from stock but two washers will usually do it.

5. avc8130

avc8130 Member

Took it apart last night and got a pair of washers in there. It was a bit of a pain, but doable.

The result was 1/2" less sag.

I am going to roll with this for now. If I decide I need more help I will make some spacers to replace the angle block and washers.
    ac

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I installed mine last year on my 3500.With my Boss 9-2 V plow,the front end comes down app. 1''.My T bars are at 4 turns.I love those Airlifts.

7. avc8130

avc8130 Member

Did you install them as supplied or did you space them down at all?
    ac

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

As supplied---also just want to mention that after almost a year on them now,they have no wear on them at all,just a little dirty looking.

9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

No wear because they really weren't being used...

As intended...(T-bar adjustment)..