1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Disappointed in new X-extreme V edges

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rob1325, Dec 21, 2013.

1. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Bought new edges for my 9.5 Extreme V, when mounting center pieces, they don't make them with slotted edges, just fixed. Called dealer and they said do to patent infringements they don't slot them anymore. Well now I have a 2" inch space between center edges. Called fisher and they said same thing. I asked them I have 2" space now and why they didn't make it a more closer tolerance, They say that is in tolerance. Well my manual doesn't say that. I brought my new center edges to my local machine shop to slot them like my old ones and they are nice now. I was just upset that after spending $450 for new edges that I had to pay more to finish machining them that should have been done. My XV2 are slotted and dont know why they are and not new edges. I didnt like that big of gap to let snow through. Sorry for rant, but just wanted people to know when they replace there's and see the big gap in center. I'll try to post pics of gap before I got them machined and after.

2. fordrulz

fordrulz Junior Member

Yea i see why that could be a bit irritating. Hope that changes by the time i need them for mine!

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

That has got to be an f'ing joke. 2" gap is ok?!?!? I have about 1/4" gap tops in mine and mine are slotted. Did you buy factory edges or aftermarket edges? Can't see how slotting some steel is patent infringement. They absolutely have to be slotted to dial in positioning so you don't lose snow. What's the point of owning a V plow if the center leaks?

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Mine has a 1" gap at least, stock in certain positions...always leaves a dribble of snow. Not enough to matter, or try to clean up.
    Need to see if there's any adjustment.

5. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Tried to upload pic but its on my phone and don't know how to get it on here. When plowing slushy snow, that space lets a lot through.

6. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Is there a gap when the plow is in V (retracted)?

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

When moving the plow from V to Scoop the gap changes a little. I can't remember exactly which one is closer. I think scoop brings them closer together. I believe my edges almost touch in scoop.

8. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I had them machined so they are slotted like it should be. Nice and tight now.

9. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

I just bought a new edge for my 9 6 haven't opened the box yet, I will have to see what mine looks like. I also wish the could reinforce the center pieces to avoid them bending, I bent one on my 8 6 and had to buy a new edge kit sooner than I wanted.

10. POM Ticks

POM Ticks Junior Member
    from Maine

I have just run into the same situation. Took old ones, slotted, off and put the new ones one and I was completely wild. Friend in Mass, same issue. I am going to machine mine to match my old ones but nothing for nothing after spending money for new ones we shouldn't have to machine them to make it work. Love my fisher XV but this is a very bad decision by fisher. If they are going to make these fixed, fine but make it fixed in the right spot. :angry: Has anyone found an aftermarket company that has the edges slotted?

11. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Times two on the aftermarket, anyone have a better one ??

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They can't slot them. Someone sued them for it

13. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Maybe somehow get the EZ V rubber to go on the Extreme V.

14. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I was told Boss sued them. What I don't get is my new XV2 are slotted.

15. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Ok so I'm not going crazy then??? I just bought a brand new 8.5ft ExtremeV SS plow about 3 months ago from the Ford/Fisher dealer where I bought my truck. This is my first v plow so I didn't know what to expect. Yet first storm of this season was a wet one and I noticed a lot of trail off down the middle (enough in scoop to have to make a cleanup pass). Come to find out there is almost 2" gap in the center in all positions. Took the plow to my local Fisher and the guy said that's weird and that the center edges are slotted on the new v plows to adjust the gap... so they just didn't adjust it when installed. So I pulled them off and no slots. I had one off to take to Fisher to show them but no chance with the holidays and now snow this week.

Hey Rob1325--- How much did they charge you to slot them at the machine shop?? Looks like that's what i'll have to do.
    And what I don't understand is even if slotting them was a patent infringement... why not just stamp the holes in the right spot like 3/4" over to make that gap smaller. I understand they need room for play as to not touch but 2" in all positions ain't even close.

16. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Why couldn't they just slot the bracket on the plow that the edge mounts to if that's the case. Any one have a new vx2 wondering the set up on those. I checked the edge I bought for my 9'6" it dosent have slots. I also checked the one on my. 8'6" that I put on last year and no slots and a gap much bigger than it should be when I bought them they were just far enough apart in the v position that they weren't touching.

17. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I paid $65, I have same thoughts as you on this issue. They charge enough as it is for them.

18. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

I wonder what a machine shop would charge to make them ?? If you bring a new one I don't think it would be to hard to match

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The gap shouldn't change very much from Vee, to straight, to scoop. If it does, something is bent, worn, or broken.

A gap larger than a quarter inch is going to leave a mess. I ran mine basically touching.

As for stronger center pieces, if you brace them you are just moving the damage somewhere else on the plow if you hit something. There is no trip protection when you are in Vee.

20. TerraScraper

TerraScraper Member

Same issue here, I replaced all 4 edges and installed a back blade kit (worth the $120, cleans very well for loading docks) I have about a 1.5" gap. I was thinking of putting a piece of rubber behind the V to close it up for good. Also thought of opening the bend by heating with some acetylene torches and pounding the bend open a 1/2" per side. Don't really have the means to machine the holes into slots. I'll keep ya posted with the modification.

Def disappointing replacing a bent center section and ending up with a bigger gap than what I started with.