1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

disadvantages of the 8.2 power-v?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by michaelt1323, Oct 16, 2006.

1. michaelt1323

michaelt1323 Junior Member

OK, I know what the advantages of the power-v can be, but what are the disadvantages, if any, over a straight blade design? Can you do everything the same as with the straight blade, and then take advantage of the power-v? Also, do you use shoes with the power-v? I have had customers require that the ground be clean to the asphalt before I leave,making the shoes unusable. I like using shoes as it keeps my cutting edge sharper, longer. When needed I get out of the truck and finish the lots with the shoes off. Same process with the power-v? I appreciate your comments, and I am happy I found this web site. Your responses and help to everyone is great. I hope this community won't change!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Cheek out this link from Boss on shoes. Bottom of page:waving: http://www.bossplow.com/plowing-tips-practices.html

A V -plow can do every thing a straight blade can...
    plus more...

So, you plow the lot once with the shoes down then you (clean up) plow it a second time with the shoes up? So? you plow the lot twice?

3. BDB

BDB Senior Member

In my opinion a V doesn't clean as nice as a straight. I've used all kinds....and now have a straight blade with wings. I liked the Boss V and it was fast! I didn't like replacing the pucks. If you do get a V just make sure it has the new style blades on it. The blades with the pucks in the middle tend to break off and then you always have a trail. To replace the puck you have to wear it down (PIA) or wait till you have new edges. I take the shoes off and use them for a door stop:D . Gravel roads or driveways are all I use them for.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  4. michaelt1323

michaelt1323 Junior Member

Thanks!
    When you say pucks, what are you talking about?
    Sorry about the question on shoes. I would consider myself a newbie to the plow business as I've got one winter under my belt. I bought an old rusted Fisher to see if it was something I wanted to really do. I made enough last winter to get a new Boss plow, but I am trying to decide which plow to get. A 8' trip edge straight blade or the 8'2 v-blade.
    My concern in the first post was more toward the durability of the v-blade. The push points on v-blade look narrower than the straight blade. Is there a lot more of a chance to bend or break something on the v-blade?
    Thanks to all!

5. BDB

BDB Senior Member

I like the moldboard trip myself. For deep snow I like the trip edge but IMO I think the moldboard trip is easier on the truck. The "pucks" are the black plastic pieces in the center of the blade (under the pivot hinge) to keep the snow from going thru the crack. The "new style" blades have curb gaurds and are cureved in in the center. I've run a 9'2 pretty hard (not my truck:eek: ) and haven't broken anything (except the puck). But it happens. Just make sure it has locking cylinders for back dragging. Or the wings flop forward. Don't know if that is standard now.

6. VanceCox@RASK

VanceCox@RASK Junior Member

Boss V Plow Shoes

On Boss Power-V Snowplows you need to run the center shoe that goes under the main center section of the snowplow. If you don't you'll be wearing on the center section itself. However, you don't have to run the outside shoes and if you want to just make them level or adjust them up above the cutting edge to clean better. The new style Boss plows come with the new cutting edges that eliminate the center snow catcher (hoove or whatever) and are pretty slick. You can put the new edges on any Boss RT3 V Plows, so do that the next time you replace your cutting edges if you don't already have the new style ones. Another piece of advice, if your looking to purchase a new plow for your 3/4 ton or bigger truck buy the 9'2" instead. That extra foot of blade makes it alot more productive and the 9'2" doesn't weigh but about 50 pounds or so more. I run 9'2" V's or Hiniker 9' Scoop plows on my trucks.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about Boss Plows. I sold them for Mid-State Truck Equipment in Fishers, Indiana for 11 years.

Good Luck this season,

Vance Cox
    R.A.S.K. & Associates

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

VanceCox@RASK "On Boss Power-V Snowplows you need to run the center shoe that goes under the main center section of the snowplow. If you don't you'll be wearing on the center section itself. However, you don't have to run the outside shoes and if you want to just "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A new cutting edge hold the center section up off of the ground, you would have to wear the edge down to the moldboard to scrape the center section on the ground.

The only time you can scrape the center section is pushing over curbs and such.
    I would recommend you adjust the center shoe ALL of the way UP. This makes it more of a skid plate than any thing else.

If you have the center shoe down on the ground it will hold up the center section letting the wings fall resulting in wearing the ends of the wings faster ,

Adjust them all the same hight if your using them on gravel or unfrozen ground. Other wise like stated, run the middle one all of the way up and the ones on the wings too.http://www.bossplow.com/plowing-tips-practices.html
    The salesman should have referenced this.....:waving:

The biggest disadvantage is not having dual action rams on the wings. The smart lock rams are a step in the right direction.
    Back dragging may take you an additional pass or two depending on snow depth.
    Don't worry about the "puck" as the new edge does away with it. No more "puck"
    You can put the "new edge" on older plows too with a little modification, so there is help for every one even RTII users...

8. jryden145

jryden145 Member

You dont have to run any of the shoes, including the center shoe. Your dealer just needs to adjust the plow so the blade hits evenly on the ground. Why dont run any shoes on our boss v plows.

J

9. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

The straight blades do clean a little better, I think. When you go to change the cutting edges, spend the extra money and get the new edges with the center shoe built in. They are awsome and well worth the money.

10. droptine

droptine Member

Modifications???

What modifications are needed to install new edge on older 8'2"?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what you mean by "old". The new style edges will fit the RT2's and of course the RT3's but they wont just bolt on an RT1 without some major surgery.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN