1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Disabling back up Alarms, Anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JCurtis, Feb 20, 2003.

1. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Started hauling away from two sites last night. City mandated that we could only go to the specified dump area from 10:00 pm through 6:00 am

So there we are working like crazy throughout the night, loading triaxles ( we made something like 130 trips between two sites)

20 minutes ago ( 3:00 pm my boss gets a couple of complaints referred to him about the beeping all night keeping people awake.

He wants me to disable all the backup alarms on 12 triaxles and 3 or 4 loaders.

does anyone do this or know if its allowed legally?

What if DOT or DMV just happens to have a safety check set up?
    I wonder if our neighbors will be willing to pay the fines.
  2. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Im not sure about the DOT , but it maybe a OSHA violation if they are disconnected . Not sure , just something to think about .

3. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

4. push4$$

push4$$ Junior Member

I certainly wouldn't even think about disconecting the alarms.If you had an accident and the required saftey equipment was disconected,you ,the company, and the driver would be in trouble. I beleive about a year ago or so,on Cape Cod,a triaxle backed over a cop working a detail and killed him.The trucks back up alarm wasn't working,now the company and driver are in some BIG trouble. I think the driver was charged with manslaughter and other charges.Just something to think about.
  5. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I would go with the toggle switch as was said before. I have one on one of my trucks. It is a pick up that I use regularly so I put the switch in so I can shut it off when I am not hauling or plowing. It becomes a neusence when your just casually using the truck. So it is easy enough, I would just do that
  6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

NO Now way, can't hapen, won't do it.

It violates, OSHA and DOT laws. If your up, they can be up. If someone gets hurt, not only is the operator of the equipment screwed, but so is the owner. Yes i am sure the chances of someone getting hurt are slim, but do you want to lose everything over a back up alarm?

7. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:( i use my cat skid for residential snow, and i disconnect it esp if were plowing late at night
  8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Ask your attorney how they'd feel about defending your *intentionally* disabling a safety system...