1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Disable DRL on 97 Tahoe?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GripTruk, Dec 30, 2005.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Sorry, this isn't really plow related but I figured it's a chevy forum so I might find some help.

I have a 97 Tahoe and I'd like to disable the DRLs. I know on some Chevy's you can push the dome override button a number of times or hold it and it will disable them, but I think that is only later trucks because it does not seem to have any effect on mine.

Are there any tricks like that or do you have to do something like screw with one of the relays to trick them to think the parking brake is on or something?

Thanks, Jer

2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I found this searching around a little, I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes, if anyone has experience, feel free to chime in!
    www.lightsout.org

-Jer

3. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

You can just pull the fuse, it labeled and in the corner of the dash. You see it when you open the drivers door. I have had mine off since it was new

4. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

I also pulled the DRL fuse on my 99 (old body style) crewcab dually since new. Doesn't effect anything else - at least not on my truck. The service manual seems to indicate that fog lights may use the same fuse, however.

Joe Padavano

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I got in long heated discussions about this subject on several car and truck forums.

By disabling the DRL's your not only putting yourself in danger, your putting ME in danger.

Don't wear your seatbelt, disable your airbags, don't wear a helmet on a motorcycle.....thats all fine. It's when you purposly disable a safety device that puts ME in danger, that really upsets me.

BOTTOM LINE: I want to be able to SEE you. DRL's help me do this quicker, easier, and from a greater distance.

BTW: What is your reason for disabling them?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Lots of people where I live, disable the drl's on their new Tahoes, etc, so they look cooler when driving with just their parking lights on.:dizzy: I know the Silverados up until 2002, could disable them by pushing the dome light overide buttom 4 times quickly. I think that stopped working on the 2003's.

I agree with you that you shouldn't disable a safety device. If you get in a accident and the other driver says he didn't see you. The police could ticket you for disabling your day time running lights cause you tampered with something that may have prevented an accident. i know its kind of out there in theory but why chance it.

7. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I agree, I wish every vehicle had them and they had came out with them sooner. Its nice to be able to judge especially in fog and rain, not everybody turns their headlights on and the auto headlights don't always come on.

8. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

Hey Jer, please e-mail me at diesel@insightbb.com

I need to talk to you about your jeep plow valve but I can't send a PM on here and don't have your e-mail. Thanks, Phillip

9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I agree, it IS strongly debated whether DRLs are a valid safety device in this country. One thing is for sure, they are NOT mandated in this country or in any state. In fact, it is arguable that they can create a safety hazzard (I don't necessarilly agree with that, but I do doubt their benefit, and I'd like to be able to pull into my driveway without shining my lights in my neighbors' windows.)

Check out this page for some good history on the story, and why they are not required here.

Personally, I turn ON my headlights, not just my parking lights whenever there is low sun or rain or it's at all dark out. I don't drive around with my parking lights on, and in fact I think it looks dumb and it serves little purpose, especially in low, bright sunshine. This is probably the time DRLs are most usefull, but as I said, I am always sure to use my headlights during that time.

-Jer

PS, kentucky, I'll send you an e-mail

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Agree or disagree, I haven't been in a situation where they have HINDERED my ability to SEE the other vehicle.

I have though, on SEVERAL occasions, witnessed their effectiveness first hand. One particular time where I likely wouldn't be here typing this had the vehicle NOT had DRL's.

Generally, the type of work we do (snowplowing/lawnmowing) puts us in positions where roadside VISIBILITY is VERY important. Both of us and by us.

The website you mention is nothing more than a cult of control freaks. Ones that like to control every aspect of their vehicle. They also don't like automatic headlights. I just love the part about the fuel economy issue! :dizzy: :p

My headlights have been ON for safety since the early '90's. On when I get in, and off when I'm parked.

When I'm plowing, they're ON all the time....day & night.

11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Just for reference, simply removing the fuse (#15) did the trick on my Tahoe. I suppose if I had foglights it wouldn't be so simple, but I don't. The light to indicate the DRLs are on still lights, but the lights themselves do not.

TLS-

I really do not want to get into an argument over this, and that wasn't my intention, and I certainly appreciate your concern for mine, yours and the general public's safety. I also agree with you that the site I pointed to is quite one sided and some of their arguments are a bit of a stretch, like the fuel economy thing you mentioned. However, I have heard from several other sources that what they say about GM lobbying for that legislation to save costs (not lives) is true.

Control freak? yeah, I guess I am. I don't like automatic anything for the most part, it irks me that my truck has an automatic transmission, even and I loathe the automatic climate control in my other car. I can only assure you that my lights will be on whenever I deem prudent, even if that means in broad daylight.

-Jer

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Thank You ;)

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

There should be a black module just under your steering column under the dash with a few wires plugging into it. Just remove the module and the DRL's are gone.

As for safety ....... I've got mixed feelings on it. A) there are someone people driving who are so incapable of turning on their lights or driving safely that no amount of automation will save them or you but, what the heack let's try , hence DRL's. B) Early on in Canada I was driving around when they had them mandatade. In the hot summer when the heat radiates off the pavement the lights enhance that illusion effect on the eyes and depth perception dets whacked.

I would rather see a stricker test for the use of eye glasses on drivers than any other safety feature.

14. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

TLS,

I respect your opinion and understand your logic, but I must disagree with you on the DRL issue. First, do the vast majority of cars on the road without DRLs endanger you and do you propose to ban them? Does this mean that you also propose that only cars equipped with radar avoidance systems should be allowed on the road with you? As you can see (pun not intended) this is a slipery slope. More to the point, I always put my headlights on in low light conditions (rain, fog, dusk, etc). I believe that DRLs make cars stand out only by exception. If all cars had DRLs, the human mind would quickly filter them out and the result would be the same as it is without them. Also, if DRLs really do help, don't you need them on all sides of the vehicle?

To be honest, you should care more about people who don't wear seatbelts or helmets. If the only issue was hurting oneself, I also wouldn't care, but the reality is that these idiots make everyone pay more for car insurance when they kill or injure themselves. Too bad the US won't adopt a measure that limits insurance payments if the injured party wasn't using seatbelts or helmets. If that were the case, I too would view seatbelt and helmet use as evolution in action. (Of course, being a cynic, such a provision would probably only benefit the insurance companies, which are only out to screw the policy holders anyway...)

Joe Padavano

15. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Were all pre 96 GM trucks unsafe because they didn't have DRL? I have them off becaue I just don't like them. I know when my lights should be on and do so.
    The putting me in danger arguement could be used on many things we all do, speeding even a little, putting plows on our trucks that overload the front axle, sanders overloaded blocking rear veiw, having a plow on your truck when it's not snowing out, and so on.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

To me...."just because I don't like them" is a slap in my face. It's a sign of vanity. Your putting the looks of your vehicle before the safety of others. Like I said.....endanger your life all you want, but when you disregard the safety of others by physically disabling something designed to save lives, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Bright lights attract attention. Day or night. Perfect visibility or poor. We all run our beacons and strobes while plowing. Day or night, snowing or sunny.....WHY? To ensure that we are SEEN.

As for the pre '96 GM trucks not being safe....Well, I feel they weren't AS safe as the '97 & up models. But it wasn't under our control. We didn't have people physically defeating their purpose prior to that. GM just hadn't implemented them in the truck line yet.

Cars without this feature fall into the same category. No, they're not as visible, but at least the owner didn't go out of his way to defeat a safety device.

As far as having them on the rear as well.... Your not approaching a vehicle 1/2 as fast as you are in a frontal situation.

Same goes for my near death situation.....I was mowing a large property (been mowing it for 15 years). On one portion of the lawn it is beneficial for me to turn around in the street on my ZTR. I always look both ways and visibility on this portion of roadway is good for a mile one way and a good 200yds the other direction. Road speed limit is 40mph. I looked both ways, went out to turn, and BAM there was this car out of nowhere. It was a dark colored car, in broad daylight. Blended in. Had he have had DRL's I have no doubt that I would have seen him MUCH sooner and likely waited until he passed to turn around in the street.
    The other portion of this lawn has a 1000' frontage which I mow parallel to the road. I see a LOT of cars coming and going from this vantage point, and even in my peripheral vision, I can pick out cars with DRL's much quicker and sooner than without. Just like you can see bright colored cars/trucks easier than dark colored ones. It's all about VISIBILITY.

17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

There are things we all do that endanger others lives, are you a by the book with everything guy? No overloading your truck with the plow and sander? I bet there are things you do everyday that could affect someones life if things went bad.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  18. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

[​IMG]

sorry!!!

19. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I am only going to say that I agree with TLS wholeheartedly. Other than that, I won't even get started, because I will probably turn this into a urinating contest, as I am known to do. So, that's all.

20. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Are you a by the book guy or just on the DRL issue?