1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dirt build up in the trip edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by oldmankent, Feb 6, 2014.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

This past storm was a wet one. I have a few gravel drives. Even though I tried floating (not the float light) the plow I still dug in quite a bit. The trip ended up getting filled up with dirt and snow. The passenger side was worse and it would not close all the way. therefore the plow was not riding on the ground evenly. The passenger side contacted before the driver side. Pain in the ass. Had to take a wrecking bar and open the edge up a little more and use a heat gun with a flat bar to clean the edge up and then rinse it all out with water. Did it to both sides. This being my first trip edge plow, have to say that this is my biggest complaint so far. There is not good way to open the trip up either without removing the springs. I was a little hesitant to use a pry bar, but did anyway to get it done.
  2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

if you have the extreme V as stated in your sig then it has a aggressive attack angle so I would recommend a shoe kit, this will help the plow glide along the dirt, also back dragging dirt can be effective as well.

fisher plow part # 50700
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

It also helps to keep the plow angled too or try running it in scoop mode. I've found that when you're plowing gravel anything other than straight works best.
  4. oldmankent

I was plowing in angled mode. V seems to d
  5. oldmankent

I was plowing in angled mode. V seems to dig the worst. This drive in particular is one vehicle wide with a crown. At least it used to have a crown. Just a bad storm. Wet and not real cold before hand. Wish I had jumped on the trip edge cleaning of earlier than I had. I think it made the plow dig in morse
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. oldmankent

Did it again and this one wasn't even as wet. Getting to be a pain in the ass as it is tough to get cleaned out. May have to go back to a full trip plow. Strange how this is the first winter to do this out of 3 that I have had this plow.
  7. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

What I do when the ground is not frozen is drop the plow down and then lift it up just a little bit. It still gets most all of the snow off and not so much gravel/dirt.
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I do quite a few gravel areas and this was my biggest problem when I tried a trip edge for a year in the 90's. I never even look at them now...
  9. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

This is what you have to do on dirt and gravel driveways when the ground is not frozen.
  10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I got some crud in mine when I found an un-staked grass island in a new lot. Pushed the edge against a curb and dug the crud out with screwdriver, being very careful to keep fingers away from the gap.
  11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

It sucks that I'm seeing more of these posts about trip edge problems on the newer fishers.

On my 9' strait blade with 4 springs, nothing stays in there. It always seems to work out before I even notice it.

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

This was my first time to get anything stuck in trip edge. But I did plow off about 4" of dirt at about 15mph. Will definitely be doing some repair to that island in the spring.