1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Direct Mail & Mailing List Services

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by SharpBlades, Jan 7, 2013.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Over the last few years I have been doing direct mail letters and postcards for both my snow and landscape sides of the business. I usually design my own postcards and write my own letters, and I really enjoy doing that side of it.

The tedious and mind numbing task of typing addresses... not so much.

This year I am going to be trying to expand my landscape side of the company by about 20-30% in the residential market. This requires me to bring on around 40 or so new customers.

In the past, due to my very specific marketing, I have been able to bring on 1 new customer to every 65-75 letters or 1 customer to every 150 postcards. Yes, I know, those results are not nearly typical :D

After some research I know that with a less (much less) specific demographic I should expect around a 0.75% to 1.5% return with direct mail.

So I will need to send out around 5000-6000 mailers in order to reach my goal of approx 40 new customers. This makes typing and researching addresses out of the question :eek:

So my question goes out to those people who use direct mail- Which address service have you had the most sucess with? How are their prices? Are you able to target your specific demographic? IE: theres no point in sending my postcards to apartment dwellers...

Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

EDDM from the post office. Have a nice postcard designed. Most printers are familiar with this. They may even do all the paper work the post office wants. You can delete some addresses from the list. Even if some apartments get them it still cheaper they you doing all the work. postage is .145 cents.

3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I'll check them out. Thanks grandview, and I'm assuming you mean postage is 14.5 cents? Lol

4. grandview

Yes,.145 cents you this is the correct way to post it!:D

5. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

I have used vistaprint in the past, which was cheaper than EDDM in my application. They had very specific address lists and handled all the mailing.

6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

EDDM is the cheapest form of mailers. I'm not aware of anything less than that. Can you explain more of what you're doing with vista print?

7. grandview

Sounds like he's trying to cherry pick addresses as opposed to the eddm program.

8. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I overlooked that part.

9. krpalex

krpalex Junior Member

EDDM for mailing and gotprint for printing best that I have found.