1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diomand plate alumium

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by earnies2, Mar 7, 2008.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Ok here is the problem . I just got a used utility body to replace my rusty one the problem is the new one has custom aluminum diomond plate on the top of the boxes, and on the inside of the bed.( on the sids and the floor on the bulk head and tailgate) it is a verry nice job all the seams are sealed,,,,the problem is i am a mechanic and i have no intensions of pollishing the aluminum.it is hasent been pollished since new and was sitting outside for 2 years and their is a 6" high watter mark in the body. I acid washed it most of it came out but now the alumium is dullish white....any susjestions would be great maby paint?spray in lining?rustolium? I'm not shure if any of these would work and what special prep i would need (sorry for the long thred):salute:

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

if you put a vent wheel on a buffer/grinder and use rouge (total cost of $20) it will polish up quite nicely and verry quickly

3. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

I know about polishing I polished all our asphalt tankers, I am a heavy equptment mechanic i am always puting tranys tires and loader buckets not to mention broken parts from the pavers and distrubiters in the back of my truck , so i dont think polish is the way to go..........

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Just start using it as is, eventiually you will get stuff and grease back there that you will never even know it was there.

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

if you know so much why are you asking for help? is it small talk? just sit back and read you don't need to ask questions you already know all the answers too.

like crash said leave it alone....its not a show truck!

why would you paint it?......so you can have a scratch that stands out like a sore thumb?

the origional Q' asked for "any suggestions" except polish. sounds like the guy is kinda lazy?

i am not posting on this thread any more it does not need to stay ant the top.!

6. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

First off POWERJOKE ..... If you read and understood my thread i was looking for sujestions for, and I'll quote (any sujestions would be great maby paint? spray in lining? rustolium I'm not sure if any of these would work and what special prep i would need ) I did say i didn't want to Polish becaus of the abuse the back of my truck takes.....so after reading my post your sujestion was to Polish which is your choice but not the help i was looking for ( paint?spray in lining?rustolium?) ...Crash cane up with a better sujestion than you, But for you to go off on me for not taking your sujestion is childish:cry: and i don't think that was the intent or mission statement off this forum......If your such a no it all than you should of been able to read and understand what i was looking for ..Its people like yourself that make other people hesatate to post or ask for help on any forum.....

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

alumanum

if your going to paint it you will have to use a etching type primer to adhere to the alum ,if it will come off i would lightly sand blast it to texture the surface to help the primer stick ,or roll on bedliner in a can would be quick !

8. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

No it wont come off...do I have to sand the aluminum before using etching primer I just acid washed the aluminum. I was looking at a spray in liner from SEM at www.semproducts.com #39650 ussmileyflag

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

get it as clean as you can ,surface corrosion ect it would be best if you could get a Small hand blaster to texture the surface to help hold it .

10. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

I think I came up with a plan....It is really the floor that takes the beating so i am planning to spray tha floor and 1/2 way up the sides with liner and polish the rest......if the polish doesnt hold up i'll paint the rest with silver paint...maby i'll spray the back below the tailgate with liner to.....I have a 5" cup stiff bristle brush that i can mount on my 9" buffer that should scuff it up to hold paint......did you look at the SEM link for the bed liner material......ussmileyflag