1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diner/rest bidding help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by UniqueTouch, Nov 8, 2015.

1. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

hey guys i have an opportunity for bidding a diner, its open 24 hours. 2inch trigger. i dont know how to price it or even what options to use. lot of experience plowing but not pricing. its about an acre and half. without salt thank you

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Pictures would help. How much do you charge per hour? I'd bid an acre and a half at 180.00-200.00 per push without salt. Just a guess without seeing it. But insurance rates in Jersey are crazy, so it would probably be a lot more in your area to cover your expenses.

3. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

No salting on a 24 hour diner?

Unless your contract states the owner of that diner is completely responsible for slip and falls, I would run, not walk, run away from this.

How many slip and falls did they have before the last contractor said enough and walked?

Looking at roughly 45 min. to 1 hour for 1.5 acres depending on curbs, placement of snow, etc... could be a little less or more.

So how much do you have to make per hour to make a profit?

Make sure you bump it up a bit because your going to be going there a lot because it is a 24 hour diner, you will be coming back to clear spots of cars that were there while you were plowing.

good luck.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I see you have been around for a couple of years,
    Soo....
    You will plow it every time there is 2" on the ground.
    The avg guy can plow an onen acre in under an hr.
    How long does it take you to plow a acre?
    Sidewalks? Salt?
    What are your salt prices?

I'm sure you have sat down and figured out how much it costs to run your operation a hr and what you want for profit.

So, you tell us, what is your bid to plow it every time there is 2"?

You don't need a price for 3-6 or 7-10" becuse you would have plowed it at 2".

I have serviced 3, 24/7 restraunts at the same time and none of them wanted salt. In 12 years of servicing them I never heard about even one slip/fall.
    And these places were close to bars and would fill up at after last call.

Lucky, maybe,

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

No luck, the people I know from northern Minn walk better liquored up, understand what snow/ice does to the ground and they wear appropriate footwear.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Weirdest thing that some people grasp the concept that snow is slippery.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I used to fall down drunk in the summer....

8. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

U don't any more ?...:D

9. Mr.Markus

I don't drink anymore, people used to think I was obnoxious...:D

10. Mark Oomkes

You're not anymore?

11. Mr.Markus

Only to other obnoxiers....

12. Mark Oomkes

Lol........

13. UniqueTouch

thanks guys

appreciate it, really do, have a good night guys,

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Don't let those morons get to Ya,
    A few of us asked legit questions only u can answer.

15. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

A few more details on the lot and you would get better answers . Just trying to keep up with some of the biggest morons on this site ....:D

16. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Dinner owners are cheap. Never seen one here plowed during a storm every two inches. If you gotta hit the whole lot every time, 175.00

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

City Wok uses busboys with shovels to clear the parking lot and woks.

18. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

We were in a diner one night, the owner said he would buy us breakfast if we plowed his lot, we just paid for our eggs.

19. UniqueTouch

update. i spoke to the owner. he said he will put it in writing that if he decides to not have me salt that i am not responsible. believe it or not he said since it isnt busy when it snows he probably only going to want it done once unless we get about 10 plus inches then only twice. and he'll let me know when he wants it salted. i measured the lot it is 65000 sqft. with 100 ft of side walks

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

FWIW customers that don't want to commit to a regular schedule and services end up being a PITA. If you have the resource capacity and mental bandwidth to deal with this bid it, I'd rather have a route that's remains constant for every storm.

Out west a 65k lot with 100ft of 48" walk would go for $200-250.00 for 1-4"and no salt