1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dimming lights??

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by sempertrue, Dec 7, 2004.

1. sempertrue

sempertrue Junior Member

I have a 2002 f150 7700 with heat on at night when moving plow all lights dim. is this a grounding problem, battery or alt? truck has 25K miles. thanks for suggestions

2. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Sounds like normal operation to me. The pump draws quite a bit of current while moving the blade.
    If the lights stay dim, then maybe you need to do some further investigation.

Good luck,
    Mark K

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

It is normal for your lights to dim a little when moving the plow. If you are running your batteries dead then you may need to look into a larger alternator. If the lights are getting very dim when you move the plow (to the point you cannot see) you may need to look into a larger battery or maybe dual batteries.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

if the battery is original from the dealer - you probably could use a better one. Then make sure your alternator is at least 140 amps. Beyond that a little dimming will probably always happen but, it should not be drastic.

5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Any alt off about 100 amps or more will do just fine, no need to run out and buy a bigger alt. (many years ago I plowed with a 70 amp and never died in action with it) Plow motors can draw 100 to 150 amps when running and can surge at over 200 amps for a fraction of a second when they first start which can be noticable in lights. Dual batteries will help stabilize voltages better than a bigger alt will when plowing snow.