1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dimming headlights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jeffcof150, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jeffcof150

jeffcof150 Junior Member

Can I do anything about my headlights dimming while using my plow. I have a 7 poly sport duty on a 2003 f150. Or do I just deal with it
  2. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Give us some more info... did they just start doing this? is this a new plow on the truck? How bad do they dim? What is your volt meter reading?

Its not uncommon for the lights to dim and the volt meter to drop when you raise or angle the plow, but the volt meter should pop back up in the 13-14 volt area when you let off the controls. Do you know the truck's battery condition? Also, how many amp is your alternator??
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  3. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

You should upgrade the alternator and do the car audio "big 3" Mine sometimes dim cause snow has gotten on the alternator/belt, causing it to slip
  4. Invapd

Invapd Junior Member

I have a 2011 2500 HD with the Snow Plow Prep Package, which means I have two batteries and the upgraded alternator. My lights dim and heater fan lowers when I move the plow. It is normally at 14 and goes to about 13 when I move the plow. this just does not seem normal to me. Any thoughts?
  5. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

That sounds pretty much normal ...You are pulling a LOT of amps when everything is running. The real test is how many volts you show after plowing for hours..... if it starts dropping below 12 volts when your not running the plow motor, your charging system is not keeping up.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012