1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dimm Headlights after plow install

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sbrennan007, Oct 30, 2006.

1. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Anyone else notice that when you install the isolation module for the Western plows that the main headlights seem dimmer than stock. And they weren't that bright to begin with.

I'm guessing that it's week wiring going though the isolation module, but I would think they would have thought of this.

So, with that said, if you were to get one of the wonder cables that claim to brighten headlights by feeding them more power, would you want to plug them into the wire feed going to the isolation module, or where the plug actually connectes to the factory headlight.

Option 1 I could see that the truck headlights would be brighter, but with option 2 if it was going into the isolation module, would it make both the headlights and the plow lights brighter?

Thanks,

2. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

iso mod

your isolation module will limit the amount of power passing thru it, if you run it to your factory headlight switch it might work, but dont wire it to the iso mod or you might burn it up.

3. sbrennan007

I inserted a relay to supply battery voltage going into the Isolation Module and picked up about anoter .5V at the headlights and the plow lights as well.

I don't think that there'd be any chance of burning up the Isolation Module as it's designed to accept battery voltage.

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Or you could just get the new nighthawk lights and not have to worry about burning anything up. They kick a$$!

5. sbrennan007

I already have the new nighthawk lights. This is a new plow install. All seems to be working ok with the battery voltage going into the Isolation Module. For most of the time the extra power is going to the truck headlights, but when the plow is hooked up the extra power is going to the plow lights and they are bright!

I can't see how anything would be burned up in either case, as it's just battery voltage going to the Isolation Module now vs. headlight plug voltage.