1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dim plow lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EIB, Jan 18, 2003.

1. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I have a three year old Western MVP. I love the plow, but hate the lights. They never were too bright. I have a friend of mine that just bought a western straight blade Ultra mount. The lights on his unit were alot brighter than mine. Does anyone know the difference between the two. I was thinking of buying a set of them and replace mine.

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I don't know much about the particular lights you mention, but if both are halogen they should be similar in light output. Does your set have a good ground? Heavy enough wire? Maybe there are dirty contacts somewhere.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

My guess is a poor ground. My ground connections rusted and one of the wires (the one grounding the coils, causing the plow not to work) was broken completely off. If you wiggle the harness, does the intensity change? I would check those connections and those at the lights themselves before I buy new bulbs.

4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I agree with the others, check the grounds ... if that doesn't seem to help, try finding ExtraVision or Hi Vision headlights, they are about 25% brighter than regular ones and come in both small (4 headlight) and large (two headlight) designs. They are made by both Phillips and Sylvania. This is provided that your headlight design will support them and is not already a halogen insert design.

5. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

check all of the above then check if lens is plastic, if so switch to halg. glass.

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

7. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Thaks for the info. I have check the grounds, when I switched thr plow from the old truck to the new one. The lights were dim from day one. The just don't put out alot of light. I've seen one guy around here with four plow lights mounted on his plow frame. I just went out and looked at the lights. They are halogens. I will recheck all the conections just to be sure. Next time I see my buddies Ultra Mount, I'll check to see the type of lights on his.

8. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I thought my plow lights on my new truck were dim while plowing lots, then it occurred to me to turn on the high beams. Now I plow with the high beams on and turn them down when I go back onto the street.

9. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I have a western and am not impressed with the lights. They aren't that bright and seem to be knocked out of adjustment very easily.

10. Rob Abner

Rob Abner Junior Member

After checking and repairing any defective wiring, get yourself a set of Sylvania Silverstar bulbs there are the brightest bulb in a factory wattage made, also color is very close to H.I.D.

You can never have to much LIGHT on the subject!!!!!:waving:

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Do you guys plow with your headlights on?

Most times I turn them off and leave the parking lights on, I think it saves a little juice. If it is very dark, I'll use them, obviously. Most of my accounts have lighted parking lots or motion lights in the driveway, so the areas are fairly well lit.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

A lot of the westerns came with real crappy halogen sealed beams.They also use a funny connector on the back,which makes it hard to replace them with a standard 4656 Halogen sealed beam.I picked up a regular headlamp connector,and converted the plow wiring to run regular 4656 sealed beams.Use a HO version.Lots more light,and easier to find,cheaper bulbs when you need them.

It is also possible your aiming them too high ? If they are you won't see much light on the ground,and see all the snow,fog,moisture in the air which actually reduces your visibility.