1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dim Lights on Meyer Assembly

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brother1, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Hello all - joined the site about a month ago and gotta say it is great. Wish I found this years ago. My question is about the plow lights on a Meyers Plow I have on an 88' Chevy 2500. I got the plow used from a friend of mine who didnt need it anymore and we have never been able to get the lights to work correctly. All the running/parking lights and blinkers work fine but the headlights are extremely dim. Thought it was the ground but tried a few things there and that didnt help. Changed the headlights themselves because they were old and sat for awhile but that didnt do any good either. I am able to use the truck still because the regular truck headlights stay on with the plow lights so I just keep the plow low and can see ok but would really like to have a normal set of plow headlights. If anybody has any input would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

"the truck headlights stay on with the plow". that sounds like your problem. most plows turn off the truck headlights, when you put the plow headlights on, either by a switch or relays. i would look into that.

3. Brother1

Brother1 Member

I thought about that also but the plow lights are even dim when i have the truck headlights off. Could it still be a relay thing?? I have our mechanic checking it out now also and he can't figure it out either.

4. paul soccodato

it sounds like a resistance problem. i would hook the plow light up directly to the battery to see if its still dim. sounds like a wiring problem somewhere.

5. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Thanks Paul - will tell my guy to try that or I'll try myself tonite. Hey where in West. are u?? We're on the West/Putnam border. Had a coating this morning of fluffy snow but not enough to make any money. Just enough (again) to screw us trying to finish some cleanups.

6. paul soccodato

no problem i would start at hooking the lights up directly, then work backwards into the wiring. im in lower westchester,yonkers ny

7. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Well the mechanic ran a new set of wires and hooked up a new switch and the lights work fine. Not sure if it was something with the original set of wires and original switch but now all seems to be well. Thanks for the input and good luck tomorrow nite if they get this one right.

8. paul soccodato

glad you fixed it. and i doubt they will get it right!

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Probably was a ground problem. Often a poor ground will result in dim lighting. Glad it is all set.