1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dim drivers side head light

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nchiapet, Jan 4, 2015.

1. nchiapet

nchiapet Junior Member

Okay so equipment is a 7'6" western ultramount 2 plug 12 pin relay style on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 single cab short bed off road edition. I had a dim drivers side head lamp and had figured the ends were 10 years old so I replaced both plow and truck sode ends. No good still got a dim drivers side plow light also my high beam light in truck is dim lit.

So to recap I have a dim driver side plow light and the interior high beam light is dim lit when highs are not on. I understand it may be feedback but I have no idea where to start to look for a bad ground somewhere it's just very frustrating and I spent a lot of time on it. Thanks for your help in advanced and finally seeing snow stick here in Chicago!! Woohoo

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

is this a new install?
    Have you looked at the drivers headlight assm? The ground can get rusty and nasty inside there. I'd start there. Also try running an external gnd to it and see if it changes anything.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You need to identify how many relays you have and then find the schematic for it to systematically test it. Here is a link to the schematics manual, yours will one of them.
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf
    When testing this type of problem I like to use an analog test light, not an LED because the analog (regular light bulb) will appear dim on a wire with a bad connection whereas the LED often will not because they draw so little current.
    Start with the grounds, as said above. With the lights on, in the dim position test the ground wire (do not unplug the light) if the ground lights up then you have a bad ground. Going from ground to ground should not light up.
    If your grounds are OK then work your way back along the positive wire. The test light should be dim, like the headlight. As some point the test light will be dim on one side of something and bright on the other.
    I would put my money on corroded relays.

4. nchiapet

nchiapet Junior Member

Yes this is a new install I took everything off my 03 ram and followed the wiring diagrams from western to ensure I didn't miss anything.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Are the headlights the same on the old truck and new? The plugs may be the same but are the bulbs the same? Look at the lenses of the headlights, it will say HB1 HB3 or HB5 etc. That manual link I sent above shows the different types of bulbs and their pin-outs.
    On page 5 they show all the plugs and light types, notice that HB1 and HB5 look the same but have the wires oriented differently. If the bulbs are the same then either you connected something wrong or you broke a corroded connection while handling the harnesses. Being that old there will be some corrosion on the spades of the relays and on the wires going into the crimps.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015