Snow Plowing Forum banner

Dilemna - Kubota - box blade? Blower? Plow?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SNOWLORD 
#1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post but since my family has owned a snow removal business in NY for over 25 years I figured I would post it here. We plow in the city so my experience is not relevant to my problem.

I have a country home with a 2500 ft, long gravel driveway, 12' wide.
It is in the mountains and quite steep in places.
I can put the snow anywhere - I just need to get it off the driveway.

I already have a Kubota L39 tractor (39 hp, diesel, backhoe)
I am buying the best chains I can find so I stay on the road. $700 - is that priced right?
http://www.aquilinetirechains.com/tractor.php
(I slid off the road in the snow once already with the tractor)

I have done some research and have found that Horst Welding (HLA) manufactures two products that I am evaluating.
1) The 2000 series 8' wide plow with manual angle
2) The 7' wide snow pusher 2500 box blade.
I have never plowed gravel before. HLA is new to me, we use Fishers on the trucks.

I don't think power angle is important because I can drive two passes and clear the driveway. The box blade looks interesting but I think the plow will give me more "bite" to loosen hardpack and crust. The box blade looks more useful in open areas, like parking lots, rather than a long, narrow driveway.
Can my Kubota handle an 8' wide plow?
Any suggestions or relevant experiences are appreciated...

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
snow etc.

A 6 foot Pronovost Group 2 rear mounted snow blower will serve you better and you will remove the snow the first time and have no snow banks.

Tudor and Jones in Weedsport, N.Y. is the New York State Distributor for Pronovost Machineries.

Keep in mind that snow is 21 pounds per cubic foot and as you break it up and push forward it is compressing the snow and increasing
The weight in front of the plow and will be useless in the event of a huge snow storm and drifting and the snow depth will weigh more than
21 pounds per cubic foot.

When you get snow you really get a lot of ocean moisture laden snow in your area and the snow is very wet and heavy too.

With a rear mounted blower you will move much more snow quickly and traveling at 1 to 3 miles per hour you are moving at 88 to 264 feet per
minute so you could be done in 6 minutes at 3 miles per hour versus pushing and backing constantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.