1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dilemma!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I've got a number of large retail sites to clear. I don't quite have enough of my own equipment to do it all. Should I hire subs or lease my own equipment and put drivers in it? I can rent 2 Cat 906 compact loaders for $2000 grand per month each. I figured a sub in a similar machine would be at least $125.00 per hour. Opinions please!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

subs.....:nod:

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Ditto. It might seem cheaper to buy your own equipment but by the time you put fuel and operators in your machines you might be suprised. Plus you will have to put out all the inevitable "fires" that seem to develop with equipment at the worst possible moments yourself. Give yourself a break and spread the responsibilty out with others.

4. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

yup...use subs

5. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

use subs for sure, that way if it doesn't snow you don't have to pay the rental charge

6. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

also to get subs with pickups and plows, you should be able to get them for 50 to 60 per hr.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Subs sounds good to me. I'm going to order supper....

8. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i'll have a cheese steak

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I had. She had meatball.

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

As long as it's toasted.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hire subs.
    I will take a toasted ham and cheese please.(Quiznos)

12. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

should have not said yes if you can not handle it...

13. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

sub on monthly contract, not hourly. Less stress I find, and you know your profit.

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

That's kind of harsh not knowing the circumstances.

I'll take a teriyaki chicken with American cheese......totasted, light on the sauce.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  15. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Why is that harsh?
    If you don't have the resources, don't bid.
    If you need to come on plowsite to find out if you need to hire a sub, don't bid.
    If you don't realize how over your head you might be, stop bidding.

Now I would rent the loaders and hire some cheap lackies to operate them.

And a roast beef with cheddar for me.

J

16. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

What is the number 1 complaint we have about lowballers? Lack of equipment and the know how to price and do the job with the proper tools. I myself would have my ducks in a row before I would even respond to a bid spec. Snow has already fallen in some areas. It may be harsh, but let's see who will survive and who will fail. It seems that seasoned contractors would have already secured subs, leased or bought the right equipt., or not bid on it at all. Chances are if you have the following, your price would have reflected the need to cover those costs. Bottom line is the more outlay on equip. the less chance to be awarded a contract by coming in at the lowest price.

17. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

There never was a question of not being able to handle it. I knew already what is available to lease and what subs are available. Or I can purchase a couple more trucks and plows or skids. I'm just asking for opions on what is the most economical way to go.

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

subs......:nod:

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Brad never said he lacked the resources to do the job. He's just considering his options, and getting opinions. BTW, getting opinions is the primary purpose of this forum. For those of you looking to pick a fight, better do your homework first.

Do they make breakfast subs? I'm hungry again.

20. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Now who actually bids only exactly what they can handle? I think we all put bids out there for more than we can handle, knowing that we won't get them all. If a person is confident he will get 100% of the bids he puts out, then probably he is bidding a tad low.