1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diffrent ? on plow shock

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sweetk30, Dec 7, 2012.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

o.k. i looked and every thread i found under "shock" was for price / were to get one.

all i wana know is how it works. ?

does it restric movment in & out ? like a steering stabilizer on our trucks ?

or does it just dampen movment ? like out shocks on each wheel position of our trucks ?

i have a few like new shocks on hand and a older plow setup i would like to add one to . so i just wana make sure i get the correct style and i will figure out the mounting from there.

2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

goes from the aframe quadrant to the moldboard, it makes the blade return slowly when you trip it, unlike when a pos meyers trips and its the most unpleasant feeling ever having it come flying back and snow everywhere and probably a broken meyers

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i know all of that .

reread my question please .

there is 2 diffrent kind of shocks used for the most part. i need to know what kind is used .

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

All you need to achieve on a snowplow mounted shock absorber is rebound damping... So the plow doesn't knock your teeth out when it comes back to rest on the stops after it trips. Whether the shock provides any extension damping or not (which almost every shock will provide some, regardless of the type) is somewhat irrelevent. That's the job of the trip springs... especially if it's an older plow which never had a shock... it was never relying on anything but the springs to provide extension control in the first place. That being said, I would think you'd want a shock which provdes little, if any, extension damping. As long as you choose a shock whose rate of rebound damping is somewhat consistent with the amount of force exerted by the springs when they trip, you should be fine. Might take a little experimenting, or just buy Western's shock... they've already done the homework.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The original shocks provided by Western are, as you said, like sterring dampners with equal resistance both extending and retracting. But... what would be cool, if you have the option to choose.... would be to have one with no resistance extending and varying resistance on the return increasing as it gets close to full return. That way when you hit an object there would be less stress on the plow as it trips and it wouldn't slam so hard as it hit bottom. When I studied shocks there were some that had a tapered needle vavle and check valve in them. The check valve allowed the suspention to drop very fast to follow the road and then the shape of the needle valve determined how much resistance you got at different positions in the stroke. The idea there was to give more resistance at the end so the suspention didn't bottom out as often.

I got it myself this time Ci2 "Oh the drama" (If ya aint got nothing nice ta say then don't say nothing)

6. 1rubbertrack

1rubbertrack Junior Member

Just buy a new one from western $50.00, proper length is critical. Quadrant to the plow.