1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Differntials

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Lil STX Ford, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Have a F250 '4dr Crew Cab, 2006 6.0 Power stroke with Power Pup on eco/tow, 12 bolt pan (10.5 Sterling diff ), don't haul to heavy and don't really play hard in mud, maybe a bit in snow if anything is big enough to pull me :jester:

Since this truck is basically 4WD but actually 2WD since Open Diff (non limited slip)
    Should i get the OEM LS , Tru-trac or Auburn ?
    truck plows personal in winter, and is just a put around truck...

Tks for any input

Detroit Truetrac Differentials
    http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_126000.jpg

Auburn Differentials
    http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/images/exploded_diff_bkgnd.jpg

ct_126000.jpg

exploded_diff_bkgnd.jpg

5373_243055890467_839250467_8008693_1401119_n.jpg

2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

the factory units have good highway manners and still come thru when asked to. I'd stick with the factory stuff unless you just got a great deal on one of the other two.

3. Lil STX Ford

just an Xtra 50$ for the aftermarket ones.....

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Of your choices I'd recommend the Trutrac over the others. They perform better than the stock Sterling LSD and unlike either the stocker or the Auburn they have no wear parts and do not loosen up as they accumulate miles. Very smooth in operations as well for a daily driven truck. I've installed many.

5. Lil STX Ford

Tks B&B
    , got the tru trac priced here In the maritime at dealers 850$, guess I'll save my beer bottles for this toy :)

6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

id go detroit locker for sure...make sure u get both differentials done!

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if you have an open differential, buy a lock-right. all you do is pull out the stock open differential and gut it (remove cross pin, side gears, and spider gears) and put the lock-right setup in its place. no messing around with resetting up the gears. i got one in my truck and its great. i got it off ebay brand new for like $150.

you can buy a detriot locker for huge money, then buy new bearings and have the backlash and pre load reset (big $$$). buy the time you are done its well over a grand. maybe close to 2 grand...

only downfall to the lockright is its only as strong as the stock carrier (cus you are using the stock carrier). but its plenty strong as far as i'm concerned. if you're running huge tires, you'll be pushing the limits of the stock carrier.