1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Differnt light question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Lucfw, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Hi, I do not know much about lights, so i have a few question. What is the differnts between strobes and leds. Is it the out put or...? What is the simplist for me that would be in a cheap price range. (100 to 250) I would like it to have a toggle switch in the cab for on and off. It would be mounted on my back rack. I have been looking at the Star ones. I would like the easyest one that I would take off in the off seson. Thanks any input will help.

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Strobes flash and can wash out in the sun. They burn hot and the tubes can run some big cash... LED's draw very little power...the Generation 3's and 4's are really bright and won't wash out. They'll last approx 5 times longer than a strobe tube. Look at the Mini Pinnicle...those are some sharp bars and you can get them US $ for around $225 on an average.

Strobes are good for your corners but you can get LED's and they'll be allot brighter for ya...

Well good luck on your search! ussmileyflag

3. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

ok thanks what type are the Star light mini bars i was looking at? btw i'd mount it in the center mount. thanks

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The other difference between strobes and LEDs is that with a strobe, you only get a "burst" (or multiple bursts) of light. With LEDs, you can select / program virtually any flash pattern between always off and always on.

As for the Star products you mentioned, is this what you were thinking of?

http://star1889.com/products/star-warning-systems/Mini-Bar-lightbars.asp

We use the 9200S bars on our whole fleet. (I think we have something like 13 mini bars including spares.) We've found them to be inexpensive, reliable and reasonably bright.

5. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

wow i spent alot of time trying to find there website and i could not. thanks. yup those are the ones i was talking about. Do you have any videos of them in day/night? thanks oh and are they Led or strobe or neither? i know one say led. thanks

6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I'm a Halogen person myself...yes they draw a bit more amps but the punch is there...

7. Too Stroked

They're actually available in halogen rotator, strobe and LED styles. I too am partial to the "old fashioned" rotators because they're tough to beat on the "bang for the buck" scale, but they do draw the most amps. I don't have any video of the rotators, but I can tell you from personal experience, they're plenty bright day or night.

The strobe version draws fewer amps, but I really don't think they get your attention as well - and they're a bit more expensive. The LED version draws the fewest amps, but it also by far the most expensive. I'm not impressed with this particular LED light by the way.

8. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Is this video one of the halogen? I just found this video of one i think correct me if i am wroung.
    http://www.truckntow.com/pc-11183-147125-star-amber-halogen-dual-rotator.aspx

I am pretty sure its a halogen because its says itlol.

9. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

yep that's one... it's slow cause they're running it on just a battery that's probably pretty shot. Here's one that is a different style bar but this has a direct view of the light. You can get ones like the ones that are on this link below that can be around the $70 mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs60_SzP9Y8

Here's a Whelen Gardian with high speed rotators... it's alittle bigger than the Stars but larger mirrors and IMO brighter and stronger light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJjQHbNjR5g&NR=1

10. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I have the whelen gardian and think its a great light, the one in the video is noisey, I will buy another one if ever needed.

11. Too Stroked

Actually, none of those videos really show how bright any of the lights are because they're taken significantly "off angle" from the effective viewing angles of the lights. Halogen rotators (and just about any light for that matter) are most effective when mounted perfectly level - horizontally. If you view them from a significant angle up or down from that, you just won't get the maximum effect. If you viewd the Star, Whelen or just about any other light from a position exactly level with the light, you's see a significant (positive) difference.

12. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

exactly.... One big thing if it's noisy you know you left it on! :laughing:

13. Too Stroked

I've got to agree with you there. I remember standing next to a NYS Trooper Crown Vic talking to the officer at an accident scene one time and the darn rotators on his roof were actually so noisy I could hardly hear him. Good for a laugh though.

There's four rotators in my Star Interceptor bar (among other things) and they're actually very quiet. Not as quiet as the LEDs though!

14. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks everone its helped alot, so for the star halogen would it be easy to wire it to the toggel switch? i belive that there is already a wire at the tird break light to the toggel switch. thats

15. Too Stroked

Yes, although the halogen rotator version draws a few amps, a properly fused circuit with a toggle switch will do it. The standard light comes with a lighter plug that can be easily removed.

16. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

ok thanks it helps. ps i saw a plow with one of these today, i was really impressed how bright it wasThumbs Up