1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

differential trouble 90 blazer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by murphy4trees, Mar 5, 2007.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

My buddy has a 90 blazer full sized with a 3:73 ratio. The rear blew the gears through the inspection plate after the last snow.Just before that the front was making a lot of noise and one wheel would lock up at times. Before that he was having trouble getting the truck to go from 4hi to 2 wd. The hubs are self locking. I hear there is a vacuum system for locking the axles, which could have a problem or maybe there is a problem in the fromt differential as well.

I made a bunch of calls this morning to find a rear and apparently Chevy rears are hard to come by, and especially this gear ratio. No one had a 3:73. In the mean time I found another blazer with a different gear ratio for sale. Runs well needs tires and some body work. I have't looked at it yet, but the guy said, over the phone, he would take 500 for it. He might even take less. So I could switch the plow over, if the truck isn't too bad, or would it work to change both differentials?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks you

2. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Murphy-- is that a solid front or IFS? I can't remember when Chevy made the switch? As far as finding rears go-- if you can't find a 10 bolt 3.73 for a Chevy truck you or your contacts aren't looking in the right places. Any yard would have a few at least. Try calling Chuck's Auto Salvage in Yellow House PA. 610-689-9574. If he can't hook you up let us know and I'll call some other folks I know. Also try Bill's in Reading PA 610-921-2222. I've bought a ton of Dana 60 fronts off this guy thru the years. He'll cheat ya right!!!

3. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

That truck is a straight axle and the other guy is right. It's not that hard to come across a used one. Find a used one for 100 and take the two hours it'll take you to swap them and you'll be good to go.

4. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

Well I wish it were so.... But it aint... I talked to both your contacts... ad I'll keep their numbers... The one guy was very knowledgeable and very helpful. Neither party had the rear and one said he was getting $650 for them. I haven't found a yard yet that says the 3:73 rear goes for les than $250.
    I did find a used blazer that needs body work and tires, with 3:08 ratio for $500 or less. I might buy that truck and switch both differentials. Or switch the plow and tires of the body isn't too bad. We've got a back up truck for now so there is no hurry.
    Any other suggestions?

5. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I have 2 guys I'll try to check with tomorrow depending how this snow flies. I thinkI have one from a 77 Blazer and I know it's 3.73. I need to look thru my pile and I'll let you know. It was out of my Blazer. I pulled it cuz I put 1 ton rears in mine. If I still have mine I'd take $100.00 for it and I could meet you partway to save you some miles and getting lost in PA Dutch country. I'll be in touch either way to let you know!

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a set of 3/4 ton front and rear axles 4.10's. 14 bolt full floater 8 lugs rear with a dana 44 8 lug up front with new rims and tires. Too bad you are not closer.
    T.J.

7. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I just talked to a yard close to home here in WI and he has two 3.73 for 100 a piece. Only problem is he doesn't want to ship them. He NEVER ships anything. Likes to keep it local guy I guess. I know that this doesn't help you out any but I just wanted to show you that they are out there, you just have to look in the right places. :drinkup:

Try partshotlines.com....they might have something or could maybe even find you some.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  8. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

He still hasn't gone to see the 89 blazer. I think that will be a good move. In the mean time I have a friend that has both the front and rear differentials from an 89 chevy pick up 1500. He doesn't know the ratio. He wants $350 for both deliverred. The only thing is the truck was wrecked... I thinik he said it rolled. I would be inclined to not go to the trouble of putting them in only to find a problem a day, week, or year later.
    What do ya think ?
    Daniel

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just want to let you know, an '89 1500 pickup would be an IFS front end. :)