1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

differential heat

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bdsean, Dec 4, 2002.

1. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

is the rear differential on my 94 f250 supposed to produce heat or am i in need of a fluid change

2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Depends on what you define as heat. Is the heat excessive? Has the gear lube ever been changed before? If you work it hard, which i'm sure we all do, it will get warm. I change the lube every year in the trucks, whether it needs it or not.
    Only my opinion
    Rick

3. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

60,000 never been changed the heat is not to bad just warm to the touch thought it would be real hot today because it had steam coming off it but then i realized it was 20 degrese out

4. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I think what you are describing is normal. I would change the lube to be safe, and work hard and safe...
    Rick

5. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

thanks i appreciate the input thats probibly what ill do

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

You might want to try Synthetic lube!

7. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

how often does everyone else change their fluids

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Oil and Filter every 2,000 miles. The rest at the end of each summer.

9. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

i change my oil every 2,ooo to and the filter every other time but have not done any of the others yet was going to but ford said they would recomened it next year and that i would be fine for this season

10. If it is hot enough to touch with your hand you are fine. Changing the gear oil is a good idea and synthetic is the way to go.
    GM makes a great additive, called "Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive" (part #1052358) It is about $6 or $7 for a 4 oz. bottle. This stuff is really worth adding. A local transmission rebuilder told me to use it on a manual transmission that I was about to have him rebuild as it was shifting hard and grinding. I couldn't beleive it worked so well. The transmission shifted perfect after that. I now put it in all of my rear axles and manual transmissions as part of my maintenence schedule.

11. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

is it ok for a ford or does ford make a similar product

12. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Good question. I buy most of my parts at the local Ford dealer but I never looked for it. The last time I added the Chrysler stuff. It worked good.

13. Transmission man says it's good for everything. It is in all my fords. A few Jap cars, and a riding lawnmower.