1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

differential fluids

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Oct 6, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

ok another question for you dodge guys. first time changing the fluids but does anyone know how many liters of gear oil goes in the front and rear axles on a 04 ram 2500? im going to use lucas gear oil but also want to add lucas oil stabilizer, just don't know how much stabilizer to put in with the gear oil.

also would any of the high mileage transmission fluid (from auto zone or advance) work in theses trucks and how much does that take as well?

I posted this on a ram forum in august and only got 1 response to just go to the dealer, so thought I ask here

thanks

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2004/docs/dr/fc.pdf

3. dodgegmc1213

thanks kimber!

4. kimber750

Don't forget friction modifier if you have a limited slip diff.

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Not a clutch type differential. No additive required.

6. kimber750

Says right on PDF if it has trak-lok to add friction modifier. See note 2.

7. jhenderson9196

Trac-loc was a limited slip unit installed in Dana differentials. 03 and up Dodge 2500 trucks use AAM differentials that do not use clutches. Check your info. Report your mistake.

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I'd put it in either way it won't hurt anything. Some synthetics have modifier in them

9. kimber750

So it is my mistake that dodge put out info that you don't agree with?

OP lets make this easy, Make sure you inspect the diff while you have the cover off.

10. dodgegmc1213

next time im under the truck ill see if there is a tag or #s on it

11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

note 2 in the PDF about friction modifier applies only to the 9.25" rear differential - which is a 1500 axle. This is a chrysler axle that shares the same trac-loc as a dana 44 unit.

the 10.5" and 11.5" are both designated as "AA" (short for american axle manufacturing or AAM) - which are 2500 and 3500 axles.

so in short, the file tells you to add friction modifier to a 9.25" rear if it has the trac-loc, and add nothing to the 10.5" and 11.5" rears.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Correct,
    and the AAM requires a synthetic lube.
    Note: the AAM does have a shoe on ether side.
    If you experience any shudder add some friction modifier.
    But,no friction modifier is needed, but if the gear lube all ready has it, in it, it won't hurt it at all, it's just not needed.

13. dodgegmc1213

14. jhenderson9196

Doesn't appear to be synthetic.

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed......if it was it would say so.

16. dodgegmc1213

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

could you use dino oil?
    probably.
    I think it will only effect your millage and it could be slow to engage(lock up) as it is a gear driven unit the thick fluid could effect it's operation until it warns up.

ram already has a 15k change interval that sounds excessive when aam went to synthetic in an attempt to lengthen oil change intervals.
    http://www.machinerylubrication.com...-discovers-advantages-of-on-site-oil-analysis

the same axel in a different make touted no change intervals (lifetime)

18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

By looking at the tag on the differential - what am I looking for --- obvisouly a series of numbers, but are there codes? Two I am referring to is:

02 F-350 (Just bought the cover and gasket. DId not research amount, but said to fill to top of fill-hole)
    96 Dodge 1500

19. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They usually say what to put in them on tag

They don't say if you need modifier or not. I usually put it in either way it won't hurt it if you don't need it

20. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Well if it wont hurt - makes sense. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF? What brand is the modifer - what's it called??