1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Differential Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stan, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Decided to treat the '94 K1500 Blazer after 20 hours continued service during blizzard '06. Changing the diff fluid front and rear with Lucas synthetic. The rear is ltd slip & bought 2 bottles of the GM additive. A service manager (good friend) told me to add 2 bottles to the rear. Been running synthetic in the 460le tranny all along with no problems. Wanted to run synthetic ATF in the transfer case as well. Has anyone have pro's/con's on doing this?
  2. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

myself I run 5w30 oil in the tcase......
  3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Synthetic pro...more durable, harder to break down in extreme conditions.

Still change at factory recommended intervals. I know synthetic last longer, but considering you're plowing, do you want to take a chance??
  4. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

the additive isnt required if using a full synthetic..
  5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

The cost does not matter, made some good coin last weekend & decided it was money well spent. Went with full synethic on everything. Thanks for the input.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

syn works better when cold too. In a transfer case with the amount of fluid in there(cost) I run it.
  7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

After doing this last weekend seems like a noticeable differance & everything seems really smooth.
  8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

In the sub zero temps you'll notice less rolling resistance upon start ups. You have made the right decision! Racers have use it for years so they could change out rear ends between heats, due to cooler temps and less impact to the hands upon doing so... better protection all around. Welcome to the wonderful world of synthetic lubrication, or expanding your horizons.
    Amsoil all the way since 77, here.

don't mind me... I've had a few bourbons tonight.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I was looking @ Amsoil but went with Lucas. In the winter months I've always used Mobil1 in the crankcase. I bought the truck in '96 with 24K. Been changing oil between 3-4K religiously. When I changed the intake gasket it was clean as a whistle.
  10. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Even though I can change it at between 15,000 and 25,000, I get it at cost so I usually change at 7-8,000 miles, No worries if I can't get to it before 10,000. I have never had a problem with it in probably 9 cars and trucks, and four bikes over the years. I can't speak for Lucas, but I assume you can rest easy.