1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Differential Cover Rot

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by joshg, Aug 3, 2012.

1. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

My rear differential just started to leak. It is "wet" on the rear face/cover about halfway up and then seems to pool at the bottom before dripping off. There is pretty significant corrosion, some material flacking off. I am thinking the gasket is fine but the cover is actually starting to have pin holes. Have other seen this? Expensive fix?

Thanks for input.

2000 NBS Silverado 2500 6L 4x4 ~135K mi
  2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Common, easy, cheap
  3. blazer_kid

blazer_kid Member

I second that cheap and easy fix. Just make sure to clean gasket surface up good before putting the new cover and gasket on and you should be fine. Also read in your owners manual to make sure to put the right diff fluid in.
  4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Cheap easy and common. I get them from the gm dealer they come as a kit with the cover gasket and all new bolts. Just make sure to paint or at least prime the new cover.
  5. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

The gaskets are not the only trouble that happens the metal in the cover rots out ( like powerstroke oil pans) and even that is a cheap easy fix.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Summitracing.com has diff covers. Some are even chrome. They run about $50 or so. Just the cover and gasket.
  7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I think its less then that from the dealer with new bolts and gasket.