1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Different tires on a plow truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by serafii, Nov 21, 2011.

1. serafii

serafii Senior Member

K guys , I got a maybe stupid question to ask. I need new tires for my 2006 Sierra 2500hd reg cab long box. I have a brand new pair of studded dynamic mt rt101. I was thinking of putting those 2 up front and getting a pair of studded Goodyear wrangler territory for the rear. All 4 tires will be 235/85/16. Will the different tread pattern affect the truck in anyway? I know 2 sets with different sizes wouldn't work. But do that'll 4 have to be the exact same tread?

2. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

be carefull with different manafactures ive seen two of the same stamped size tires be way different in size.

3. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

+1 Good Year and BFGoodwrich are known for that.

4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

be careful doing this.. It can be done but just measure them to see how close they are in size. While in 4wd the front and back axles are locking together and if they spin at different speeds because of different sized tires it can blow the transfercase

5. serafii

serafii Senior Member

yah i have some experience with that. i tried doing 245-75-16 up front and 235-85-16 in the back last year. i knew it wouldnt work but i guess i just really wanted to try the hankooks. truck was making some pretty ugly sounds lol

so the goodyear wrangler territory are out of the question. they are studless tires. i wanna run studs on all 4 corners

anyone have any idea what tire i can use that is similar to the dynamic mt rt01? in the $180-$200 range?

6. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

7. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

I run the goodyear duratrak and haven't had to stud them but they are studable they are great all around and even do good in mud. I got 30,000 out of my last set but could have gotten 40 and the new set ran 950 for 4 installed

8. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

I also run the DuraTrac as my winter tires and do not have a complaint. On the higher side of tires but worth the investment.

9. prostk2

prostk2 Member

I have a 98 GMC 2500 and run BFG All Terrains LT 265/75/16 E year round and have had great success with them. 58K out of the first set and only replaced them due to some cracking in the tread area--Good luck with your search and let us know what you buy!!!!
    Good luck plowing this year!!!!

10. serafii

serafii Senior Member

so i ended up buying the Kelly Safari TSR in 235/85/16. i got them studded on all 4 corners. wow are they ever aggressive. they're a little loud on dry road due to the aggressive tread. havent had the chance to try them since we havent gotten any snow:eek::eek:

ke_safari_tsr_l.jpg