1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

different timbren question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I know there's 500 threads about timbrens, do I need them, how do I install them, how much do they cost, blah blah blah. My question is this: I have my bars cranked five turns. I usually have a lot of ballast. My truck sits level when empty, the 810 makes it squat just a tad in front, not really bad IMO. I've been planning on adding timbrens just because everybody does, but I've got by 3 years without them, not really sure I need them. So, to get back to my question, if I don't have sag problems, what could timbrens do for me? I mean, will it take strain off of anything? I can't figure out what difference it would make, if it's carrying the weight, then it's carrying the weight. If it were to ease the strain on my frontend components I'd do it, but as I see it, it is just like stiffening the springs, or adding more springs. I don't care if the nose is down some when I'm transporting the plow.

I do worry my heavy plow will break something when I'm banging down rough back roads, but I'm pretty happy with the way my truck rides now empty or loaded, don't want to spend the money and go to all the trouble to install them and find out it rides like a Ford.

Help me decide!
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

dont get timbrens then. they really dont do a damn thing but help keep the front of the truck up. I would almost say they make it harder on the front end because the truck will hit bumps harder and the suspension has less give.
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Kind of what I was thinking, a stiffer ride is going to send more jarring impacts up through the whole truck.
  4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

On my k3500 I didn't need them. On my new body style 2500hd with a MVP it needed them bad. Last season I did without but, lifting the plow would drop the truck a little over 3". With them less than an inch. The ride quality not even noticed for the most part. On roads that are wavy I do have much less float - which I find nicer. All around for me worth the dough and I expect easier on the suspension at large.