1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

different pricing question

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Go Pats, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Go Pats

Go Pats Junior Member

In December I bid on a small condo lot, I didnt get the job, but what the association told me has been bothering me since. I price my lots on a per push basis. This paticular lot was $90 3-6" and $45 per additional 3" The last contractor that plowed the lot charged $100 per storm plus an aditional $10 per inch over 3. I did the math and you make more on a small storm but could lose your shirt on the 12"+ storms. Does anyone price this way, and what are the pros and cons?
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

On a storm that is 12plus" are you telling me that you are not going to push until it has stopped snowing. That storm is going to get pushed twice and billed twice. If you left it until the end then no one will get to work and your phone will be ringing off the hook. I don't price by the inch, we have 9 schools that we price per push but if there is more then 2" on the ground at 2am we start plowing. That night we go back and plow again, bill for 2 pushes and 2 salts.
  3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

We do it the same as CET. We have not had a storm of over 10 inches in the last 15 years. And even then it will take at least 12 hours to get that much accumulation. Most storms here are 6 inches or less.
  4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Why worry about how another business is charging? You have no clue what their expenses are/were. Therefore, you have no idea whether or not they will lose their shirt.
  5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We charge per push too. If it storms we start plowing at 2" and then were keep the lots open all day long. with a big storm you could end up pushing the lot 3 or 4 times. We do post offices and moive stores, there for theres alot of people going though the lot, so they want it keep clean / opened up