1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Different Liquid Solutions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vaughn Schultz, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

So here is the deal, I'm getting into liquid this year. I have my sprayers, holding tanks and all that crap figured out but I would like some advice on the actual solution.

These are the solutions that we are considering:

Brine solution plus 10% Calcium Chloride $ 0.45 / Gallon (per mixed, delivered)
    85%Brine %10geo55 5%Calcium Chloride $ 1.35 / Gallon (per mixed, delivered)

Another solution we can mix ourselves would be the Brine solution plus %10 Calcium chloride and then we could add geo melt at out shop for about $3.00 per gallon giving us a
    80% Brine,10% geo, and 10% cal for about $0.75 / Gallon (delivered)

My questions are:

1. What mix would you chose?
    2. Can they only be used as a pre treat ?
    3. Do you have any other or different solutions that may work better?
    4. What kinda results can we expect to see?

Thank you !

I would really like to get some responses form people that have actually used liquid or work closely with someone that has. Lets keep this a very informative thread.

Respectfully,

- Eric

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I will be new to liquids this year also. I have looked at caliper, brine solution, sugar beet - I will be trying a natural well brine that has sodium, calcium and magnesium in it. Just to expensive to try to have several options stored in bulk. I guess if i dont get the results out of the brine solution, then i will add some beet juice that I already use on my bulk salt.

Thought about making my own brine, but then you need the $6,000 machine etc etc.

3. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I have used liquids since 2001-2002, for anti-icing and pre wetting. I think salt brine gives the most bang for the buck. I have also used a propriatory mag-chloride/corn steep blend. I found it was twice as good as salt brine, but not 10X the price as good

4. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

DKG - when you use it for anti icing, what increase in rates do you do ? I know temp and
    type of snow would change things. Will be pretreating lots this year and then salting after we plow. Just wondering if I could use the liquid brine at a higher rate if we run low on bulk salt. Thanks

5. hiranger

hiranger Member

I was wondering where you are getting the brine solution? The companies that I have talked to are just trying to sell expensive products. I too am trying to supplement my salt usage due to the fast that I am only able to get a third of the salt that I normally can get.

6. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

luckily, there is a supplier 2 hours from me that will deliver 5000 gallons at .20 per gallon. I believe i got a qoute for caliper 5000 or 500 for around $1.70 per gallon which is being trucked from indiana or illinois. I know my sugar beet from natural solutions comes out of indiana.

7. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I apply brine approximately 50 gallons/acre. It helps with a cleaner scrape after plowing thus saving on the amount of salt after plowing. I have also used straight liquid in place of light salt applications. For hardpack or ice, definitely stay with salt.

8. icemen pro

icemen pro Junior Member
    from central

has any one ever used GEOMELT if so what is a good price for buying it thanks keith

9. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Dkg - thanks, I am probably wrong, but isnt geo melt and caliper the same product. Just different manufactors due to location in US. No i have not tried it but have heard it works very good and clean.

10. hiranger

hiranger Member

Geomelt is sold about an hour from where I live. I was quoted $3.00 a gallon for 275 gallon totes. I didn't think that was that great of a deal that's why I am asking about where to get the brine solutions.

11. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Geomelt, Caliber, IceBan etc are all similar just like Coke & Pepsi.

12. mike_dmt

mike_dmt Member

Anyone work with MELTDOWN? Its a mag chloride product made by Envirotech?

13. Vaughn Schultz

Brine solution plus 10% Calcium Chloride

So are you thinking this should be a pretty hot mix?

Thanks

14. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Sounds like a good mix, cost etc. I would go with a 90% brine 10% calcium or geo wichever has the most value, and keep a separate tank of calcium or mag to heat it up as conditions warrant.

15. Vaughn Schultz

how much cal can you put in there before it starts to get "slick"?

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Who is selling the "Super Mix" in IL ?
    I spoke to Mike from SNI and there products look good but the price is high.
    The Super mix looks do-able, with out breaking the bank.
    I know McHenry County uses Super Mix for everything now.

17. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Cal & Mag get slick neer the freezing point 0c/32f. You would be heating the mix below -10c so slickness shouldn't be a problem. Having 10% in the mix should be ok.

18. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Cal & Mag get slick neer the freezing point 0c/32f. You would be heating the mix below -10c so slickness shouldn't be a problem. Having 10% in the mix should be ok.

19. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Todd,

Algonquin Twp. has a deal with McH.County to use their Supemix as well......
    Talk to a MCHDOT driver, sometimes the supermix isn't so super in their opinions.
    Super Mix is 85brine/10geomelt/5some type of chloride

Rblake....you don't need a $6K machine. I produce it in-house and it cost me less than $2K to do it. Pump, 1100 gallon tank, metal stock tank, plumbing supplies and gravity! I can make 1100 gallons in about 8 hours......
    After intial investment I made it for approximately 5 cents per gallon last year.

We are blending ouselves this year in-house, one of very few who do. McHenry County does and I am not sure of any other muni's. We are using 80%brine20%GeoMelt55
    We are getting our liquid fromSNI
    Cheaper if you buy in bulk......2000 gallons or more
    Staying away from the chlorides......

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  20. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I make my own brine also. My brine maker is essentially a 45 gallon barrel.