1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Different "hidden" location for strobe light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 75, Feb 4, 2002.

1. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a flashing light on my cab roof, wanted another one visible from the back. Bought a small strobe light today that is similar to the one on the cab roof but smaller - 4" dia x 4" high. I came up with a way to mount it so it's effectively "hidden":

The pic shows my truck's headache rack (another "home made" creation) with the spare tire mounted up top. It fits on a dummy hub made from 4" pipe, there is enough space up on the inside of the rim for that light to fit.

Drilled and tapped for two 10-24 screws, silicone sealed where the wires go into the base since the supplied gasket won't work on a round surface. One of the screws was used for the ground terminal, and the power wire is routed up along the rest of the headache rack wiring. I simply connected to the switch for the roof top flashing light since I want them both going at the same time anyway. Low current draw and plenty of visibility. If I really want to light up the neighborhood, I can switch on the two big rotator lights as well. :cool:

With the spare tire in place, you have to look right up inside the rim to see the light. When flashing it reflects off the aluminum plate my 3-light cluster and backup light is mounted to.

Now, we just need some more snow to plow so I can test this thing out in real-world conditions..................

headache rack.jpg