1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Differences in the 2006's

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sixspeed, Oct 6, 2005.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Does anyone have a good link/site that lists the differences between 2005 and 2006 GM trucks???

After looking at the all plastic on the front end in the 2007 truck pictures I think I need to speed up my purchase of an 06...

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Sixspeed
    There are not really any big change's to the 06. The headlight on the GMC is changed, they added a seal. If you get a Desiel they have added alot of seals to the GMC. Front end sheet metal and bumpers are the same. Interior has not changed. A few new colors have been added. Pretty much they are the same.

Regards Mike

3. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Thanks Mike! I knew I could count on you! I hate to see such a great looking truck disappear!

4. flykelley

Hey Sixspeed it is a great looking truck and we are selling alot of them. The plant is running 9 hrs and 6 days. We are building alot of 2500 H/D and 3500. payup

Regards Mike

5. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

And I'm gonna do my part and help you get some more OT!!!

I have to find out the hard parts differences between 2500HD and 3500 SRW... I'll be ordering a Dmax and 6 speed; need to find out what differences there are between the models other than 8600/9200#GVW...

Does GM still have the book at the dealers with the models and the hard parts specs for each of the trucks (i.e. ring and pinion sizes and Xcase and tranny models)????

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  6. flykelley

Sixspeed
    They should or I think George knows a web site. If not let me know and I will be in the plant next week. I will go ask around and try to get you some answers. I do know that we are building very few GMC diesels right now. They have some seals on the hood and fenders to help with cooling, and a huge fan. I can't remember the date that we start pushing the GMC diesels hard. I will find that out for you tonight.

Regards Mike

7. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I appreciate it! Haven't been by the dealer lately but they only had one copy of the truck specs book and the other dealer "lost" his....

8. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

dealer told Me that you can't order a 6 speed in the duramax now because all new orders are the new LPZ and they are not offering the 6 speed with it yet.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

You can get the 6-speed allison automatic! ... but the 6 speed manual will still be the LLY for 06

10. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Well I figured I'd say what GM has to say online so I tried to use the horrendous GM Buypower tool a g a i n and it is worse now than ever. It used to at least give you a popup when an invalid combination occurs. Seems that no matter what body style, VYU gets selected the 6.0 is default. Select any other engine and VYU gets deselected.

Why in the hell can't they give you a list of what options or features are not available standalone or what options require what other options.

No offense intended Mike but I can't see how a multi billion dollar corporation can have such a crappy front end tool for the public. I've never used buypower when it didn't get a vb or Java script errror or get hung and puke on me with a timeout. That my friend is the sign of programming done offshore where it's not tested....

I'll have to stop at the GMC or Chevy store for some '06 lit... they're usually pretty good with a matrix of what works and what's not available with what...

11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

for diesels there is a BIG difference in the newer duramax and the one thats probably on the lots now. The LBZ is a new motor, beefed up internaly and 360 HP from the factory. The motor thats probably on the lots now are the LLY motors. I am holding out and ordering a LBZ so you can see what I prefer.

biggest difference in srw3500 and 2500HD is option avalibility, price, different tires, different GVW, and different spring pack. Motor and trans wise ect they are the same.

12. flykelley

Sixspeed
    Thats not half of it, the company is so layered with red tape that it is hard to get anything done. The good part is there are men and women who work hard everyday to build a great truck. The management end makes us shake our head most day's.
    Someday's its a wonder we can even build a truck. We keep hanging in there and maybe someday they will see the light. We are building GMC diesel's now with the new engine and all the seals so it cools right.
    I never take offense when someone is talking about GM and it is a correct statement. The company is not without its faults but we still manage to build great cars and trucks. It is alot like the government in such a way that it is so large it is hard to manage right.

Regards Mike

13. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I only know about the offshored software because my day job is to fix production software that is screwed up by offshore developers!

YOU guys do a good job! As for the bureaucracy is everywhere - I hear you on that one! My bud from church that works for Mack at the plant in Macungie is suffering through tough times in the same way...

I don't just pick on GM - the Toyota website is a close second for the worst car manufacturer website. Theirs works fine but it is totally useless for anything but a dog and pony show...

14. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

try kelly blue book (kbb.com).
    use their new car pricing tool. It seems pretty good at putting correct options together and deselecting what you cant get w/ what...

15. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys!

You're absolutely right KBB is accurate and gives list/invoice prices! Ratlover, you're reading my mind on that build up!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  16. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

KBB.COM says same thing as you guys PLM-1/gearhead/ratlover - no MM6 with the LBZ motor for 06 .... putrescent!

17. ratlover

from IL

The LBZ wont ever get the stick or so I believe. Or at least it will be a de rated version.

I found that even KKB waas a bit screwed up as was nada and the gm site. Best be is to sit down with a salesman and have em go through the book with you or auto book. There were TONS of discrepencies I ran into when I tried to "build" my vehicle online. Duno if its more to do with it being a new motor ect and they will get things straightened out or not?

18. ratlover

from IL

I am "trying" to oreder a new reg cab LBZ allison truck. LT1 package(cd power everything) with manual floor shift 4x4, vinal floor, power adjust seat steeringwheel, controls cab lights, aluminum pyo rims, charcoal cloth, Black exterior. Those new camper mirrors that are heated and kinda look like the fords mirrots. Plow prep with a locker ect too.

The big discrepency on the i net is that you cant get power windows ect on a LS anymore. To get power windows you HAVE to buy an LT.

19. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Wrecked??????????????? :yow!:

I gotta get to the dealer and look at the 2006 truck book if he has it...

I'll definitely order what I want but you're right goofy GM's got me guessing about what is available with what ...

If they are still running the ZF six speed I'm sure it will be a derated...
    I'd take a NV5600 over that...

Or if GM had a floor shifter for the auto I MIGHT consider one - or does anybody like B & M make floor shifters for Allisons????

Or do we worry that the first year LBZ is gonna be a headache????